CPU at 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vinci46, Oct 25, 2009.

1. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop Acer Aspire 1350 running win 2 GB RAM - Bios: PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
    The problem is that CPU works almost always at 100% notwithstanding the memory is used only at 25/40%.
    Is it a normal behavior or there is something that I can set up in order to improve the system?
    Anticipated thanks.
    Vinci46

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    what else do you have installed? Have you updated Windows?

3. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    I've installed all automatic Windows updates.

4. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    I had that trouble intermittently with the beta and desktop gadgets, maybe open task manager and see what process is using up the CPU, it definetely is not normal..

5. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Check the process hogging all the cpu in the processes tab, ignore the SYSTEM IDLE process, thats how much cpu the system ISN'T using.

6. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    I'm using Avast 4.8 home edition that seems to work fine examining the processes tab.
    The CPU fan runs a lot, the CPU usage is going up and down and the system is slow.
    Probably I'm asking too much to my Acer Aspire 1350.

7. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    What CPU is it? Is is dual core ?
    Laptops are much less powerful than desktops (internal bus system) and then depends what laptop............Asus dual or quad core, Fujitsu or NEC a different world and price.

I run Vista Ultimate on a 6 years old Asus PB533 desktop with 2 Gigs and CPU is 2.4Ghz non hyperthread so is old.......CPU usage is 5% and memory only 750 Megs of 2 Gigs in total.
    AVAST uses a hell of a lot..............try AVIRA by the Germans and is a free edition.

Buona fortuna per te a Milano. Ciao

8. vtechtip

vtechtip MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Yes, please do it.
    And a screenshot of Task Manager if you can, please.

9. BIOSNOIDEA

Mar 8, 2009
    What CPU is it? Is is dual core ?
    Laptops are much less powerful than desktops (internal bus system) and then depends what laptop............Asus dual or quad core, Fujitsu or NEC a different world and price.

I run Vista Ultimate on a 6 years old Asus PB533 desktop with 2 Gigs and CPU is 2.4Ghz non hyperthread so is old.......CPU usage is 5% and memory only 750 Megs of 2 Gigs in total.
    AVAST uses a hell of a lot..............try AVIRA by the Germans and is a free edition.

Buona fortuna per te a Milano. Ciao

10. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Unfortunatly it is not Dual Core is only AMD Athlon XP Mobile 2,8Ghz +

I can't restore the original WinXp home edition as I've lost the Acer's CD and because I've deleted the original partitions where the system recovery was installed. I should find a Windows XP CD to fully reinstall the O.S.
    I think that I'll continue to use the new o.s. even if is sligthy slower than XP.

Many thanks to all the forum for the help.

Ciao

11. BIOSNOIDEA

Mar 8, 2009
    Senti, how much DRAM (memory) is there? Just to open your eyes you need 1Gig but 2 is what really makes the difference otherwise CPU will be 100% (with 512) and then the disk drive will be dancing all night.

Saluti

12. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    How many times do you need to be asked for that? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    i had a problem like this before. and it was the audio process. maybe look into that?

14. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    This is certainly not normal. I've had this problem with Vista before. It was caused by a conflict caused a codec pack that I've installed. After I've uninstalled the codec pack, everything went back to normal. However, there may be several causes to this. I think one of them might be the presense of a virus in your system. Check google for more info, this is a pretty comon problem, not only with Windows 7.

15. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Sorry, I had prepared a file of screen shot but it was too heavy to send.
    Then I removed the Avast antivirus as suggested and installed AVIRA but it didn't work, probably the downloaded file was corrupted, so I've reinstalled AVAST and now it seems that the CPU usage after an initial value of 100% after few seconds goes down to lower values.
    However the system is not so fast like before.

For "BIOSNOIDEA" : the installed SDRAM is 2GB, enough (abbastanza direi).

Thanks a lot to all for the help.

Ciao.

16. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    I try to enclose the screen shot.

Attached Files:

17. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    This screenshot doesn't show us which process is consuming the CPU. You need to click the "Show processes from all users" in task manager and then take another one. Use the "Snipping Tool" to take the screenshot because the one you gave isn't very clear :p.

18. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Check "system interupts", if thats eating your cpu it can be a driver or hardware failure. Use search, there's a thread about it.

Cheers

19. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it is acrobat's incompatiblity with the OS. Acrobat 8 isn't fully compatible you need 9.