CPU issues!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Death Runner II, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Death Runner II

Death Runner II MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2012
    OK so I have been working on this desktop PC for a little while now. Its an HP Compaq Business dc5000 Small Form Factor PC. And It was wiped out by a rootkit. I Replaced the hard drive because it was old and causing other problems. I had assistance from MDL on reflashing the BIOS from 1.00 to 1.43 and I flashed the Intel chipset update. IT had an Intel Pentium4 2.80GHz/1M/800MHz FSB BUT it has 400MHz memory modules installed. The system worked fine before the rootkit but now it WILL NOT work with that CPU installed and CPU cache enabled, I pulled that CPU out and replaced it with a 2.40GHz Intel Celeron D/128/400 for the time being until I figure out why it wont take the Pentium4. It has the Socket PGA478. I'm just not understanding how this worked to begin with??? Don't make sense. It works fine with the Celeron D but I need the Pentium back in it as its not my computer.

Any suggestions???:confused:

2. Death Runner II

Jan 4, 2012
    OK So I did a lot of research on this thing and what I can tell is the motherboard is an ASUS P4SD Rev 1.09 but all the information I can find on it is for a different variation (P4SDX, P4SD-LA, P4SDR-VM) But not the model I have here. I can buy one but that wont help me with my problem. Its running Windows 7 Pro 32bit with all the updates so far except for the service pack 1, which is not wanting to download either, not a big concern of mine, I can get it other ways then the updater. It supports 400MHz, 533MHz and 800MHz bus speeds. Its an unusual design I would say I attached photos t show the board. I have been trying to find the data specs on it to see if I can come up with a reason why the Pentium 4 wont work in it. I know it can run a 800MHz CPU because it was an option from factory. I believe it has to do with the multipliers because I can get the 800MHz Pentium to run but only if CPU cache is disabled. Which makes it very slow obviously. I am not having any luck finding anything useful for this situation. I know this is an Issue not brought upon by Windows 7 itself but I didn't know where else to post this unusual problem I have. A point in another direction would be fine, I just need to get this thing working as it should be. Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Death Runner II

Jan 4, 2012
    redroad, Yes it meets Windows 7 minimum system requirements. It currently has a 160GB Western Digital hard drive, an Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz/1M/800 FSB processor and 1.25GB of 400MHz Memory modules installed graphics are Intel embedded, nothing special but works. Its not a problem whether 7 will run, it had Windows 7 installed before a system failure and it worked fine till a rootkit wiped it out. The problem I have is I cant get the petium 4 CPU to work in the system after the rebuild? I currently have a Celeron 2.40GHz/128/400 FSB CPU installed for the time being. It ran perfect before the problem and I ran all the available updates to the BIOS but I still cant get that Pentium 4 chipset to work again?

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    You said you are wanting CPU cache enabled. Was that option chosen when the previous CPU worked? The stepping in the CPU might not support that option. A socket 478 pentium 4 3.0 with hyper threading should sell for less than $10.00 delivered on ebay.

If you have the CPU out now record the numbers off of it and go to intel look it up and see what options that cpu supports.

Also best practice when flashing is to have bios menu settings set to default settings before flashing

5. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    1 - Your CPU Cache is damaged;
    2 - Your chipset cache manager is damaged;
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

1 - Test with other memory modules or with one single;
    2 - You can install other CPU and enable the cache;
    3 - If not work, your motherboard is bricked on the SYS CACHE MANAGER on the chipset area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Death Runner II

Jan 4, 2012
    The CPU cache is enabled, The CPU that was in it is the one that no longer works. (unless the CPU cache is disabled. The factory options new were either: 2.60GHz Celeron or a 3.20GHz Pentium 4 with either 400MHz/533MHz/800MHz FSB. With the new chipset update it can support a 3.40GHz/1M/800 FSB. When I opened the case it had a Pentium 4 2.80GHz/1M/800 FSB (F34) and stepping is supported. I did check with Intel's website on the CPU specs and the only difference from the OE and the installed is the OE supported 64bit, the installed only 32bit. Both Hyper-threading, both have Advanced Transfer Cache Technology and both supported 400MHz, 533MHz, 800MHz FSB.

Can a rootkit damage a CPU like that? Or is this a separate coincidence? First a BIOS reflash, Intel chipset reflash, then a Hard drive, and now a CPU? However I was thinking the CPU might be toast. Memory is fine, that I checked multiple times, and the CPU that is in it now support cache (Celeron 2.40GHz/128/400 FSB) and is enabled, works fine just slower.