"CPU Not Supported" On a Fujitsu Lifebook E8420

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Grzyb, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Hi All,

When I try to Update my Siemens Fujitsu Lifebook E8420 with Win 10 Pro running Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate , then it comes up with a message saying that the CPU is not supported....???

What Gives???

I have installed the Insider Preview on a different HD & Upgraded to RTM without any problems, it is running well & is activated????

Is there any workaround that I can try to get it to do the Upgrade as I want to keep All my files & settings...

Thanks for any advice....

:mad::mad::mad:

Fujitsu E8420 Mainboard.jpg Fujitsu E8420 CPU-Z.jpg

2. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Sorry is this 2 different machines or the same machine but different HD installs??

3. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Same Machine, I had a "spare" HD which I fitted & Formatted & then Installed the Insider Preview on it...then Upgraded it with the RTM 10240 version...All running smoothly & Activated, so can't understand why it won't let me do it from the Original HD running Win7 SP1?????

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Grzyb

Is the installed Windows 7 x64? And have you installed x86 Insider Previews on another HDD?

5. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    My older Test Rig had that error popup while updating Win7 to Win10 also, so I checked the BIOS & I tried again.
    The next time same message but it also said my Processor doesn't support "NX".
    So I restarted the PC & went into the BIOS & disabled the "Execute Disable Bit" (XD) & saved & restarted the PC.

The Win7 > Win10 update went smooth & the OS ran fine.
    I left the PC/Win10 running for a day then enabled the XD again, all is working fine as previously.

HTH

6. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    That is weird. Cant think what that would be but the difference is windows 7, does it have any code or programs in it that makes different from stock standard windows 7?

7. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Nope it's actually the Other Way around... Win 7 SP1 x86 & Win 10 Preview/RTM is x64-Bit

8. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    So youre going from x86 to x64?

9. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    When I loaded the Clean Install of Win 10 Preview & Updated to the RTM, I didn't alter any BIOS Settings & It installed fine.....Although the Win7 SP1 was x86 & the Win 10 x64-Bit.....

10. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Nope...Whichever way I try to Upgrade, either via the Win 10 Icon on the System Tray or a Burned Win 10 x86 Pro Disc, It still comes up with the CPU Not Supported Message....The only reason I tried Installing the Win 10 x64 Pro on a Different HD was that's the only version that I had handy at the time....Curious, as I would think that the x64 Bit would be more problematic than the x86 version on a 2006 Laptop.....

11. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Maybe its a MS bug I dunno. Ive always thought that upgrading from windows 7, a 6 year old OS to 10 is dodgy anyway, not as smooth as say windows 8 to 10.

12. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    That happened to me on the test rig, the TP had no problems w/ the CPU not qualifying. After googling I was desperate & what I posted worked for me.
    Do you get anything (more) in the pop-up message after trying again?

13. Grzyb

Grzyb MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    OK I made an Acronis Image of the Original HD & have made a spare HD which is now fitted into the machine, I downloaded a Windows 8 ISO from MS using a Windows 8 Retail key which I have, I started the Windows 8 Install on this HD, apart from a couple of issues with Diskeeper 2010 Not being Compatable & a Language Pack which I needed to remove, it has started to "Upgrade" my Windows 7 SP1 Install to Windows 8...

Hopefully it will complete the Windows 8 Upgrade....Once it hopefully finishes successfully, I'll try a further Upgrade to Windows 8.1 which should be a free Upgrade & then try Windows 10 again!!!!!

I know that the potential of things going wrong with 3 Upgrades is huge!!!!! But as far as I can see, I have little choice, it can only fail & I have my Original HD safely tucked away, just in case...

I have also been thinking of Installing a Clean Install of Windows 10, as I know that works & then using a VM of my Physical Drive on this??? Will this work??? Can a x86 VM work on a x64 Bit Host OS or will I need to Install a x86-Bit Host!!!!!!!

14. Edwe

Edwe MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
    In BIOS look for the NX setting - it is usually shown in the 'Advanced Configuration' menu (or similar), though every BIOS is different, so the heading may also be different. Also note that the NX (no execute bit) can have multiple names in a BIOS, including EDB (Execute Disabled Bit), Execute Disabled Memory Protection, EVP (Enhanced Virus Protection), and No Execute Memory Protect.
    Keep your eyes peeled for all of those names and then enable the setting