CPU support on old laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by x86, May 28, 2018.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I have a TOSHIBA Satellite L450D PSLY5E-01601NGE
    Board is: TOSHIBA NBWAE 1.00
    (updated to latest BIOS v1.30)

Current CPU is a AMD Sempron SI-42. Which almost constantly peaks.
    Looking to improve things a little and for that I can grab a Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-87, which according to passmark is considerably better compared to the Sempron.

I know both CPUs are slow compared to today's standards, but this laptop is only used for very basic stuff - so I m just looking for a refreshment. Just CPU +2GB RAM. Total cost like 30USD...

My question is whether the Turion will work on this laptop. My existing Sempron is socket S1g2. So is the Turion. Am I good to go?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Yeah, I think I ll take my chances. That Athlon is S1g2 as is the Turion I m looking at (Turion is slightly faster)
    TDP is the same for all CPUs (35W), so that shouldn't affect the temperature much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    arent does CPUs embedded into the mobo?

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Hmm...have no idea! Will find out when I open the laptop. Hopefully, it's not!

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Some are in-bedded and some are not, pop it open and try that turion chip if you can and see what happens

6. MookieADR

MookieADR MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2015
    I think you'll find the L450D use socketed CPUs which can be removed but because OEMs lock down their BIOS's, I'm not sure you'll have much luck switching out the CPU for an upgrade etc. I tried this once, not on the Satellite but on some Intel HP / Compaq laptops and although the socket took the different chips, the laptop would randomly reset, when I put the stock CPU back in, it became stable. I assumed this could be down to different voltages required for the chip etc and unlike a retail desktop motherboard, where you have lots of options for tweaking voltages etc. in the BIOS, in an OEM laptop, you have nothing, except for what the OEM will allow the public to play with.

Also, the AMD laptops from around your time I found failed a lot due to the ATI graphics cards that were soldered directly to the motherboards, they suffered from over heating and cracking solder (resulting in black screens) so if you were to up the processing power in the laptop, you may increase heat and end up killing your laptop. I'm amazed yours is still running, I've lost count of the amount of L450Ds I had in for repair which were all caused by the ATI Radeon graphics chips in them. If it wasn't the graphics chips, it was Toshiba's faulty hard disk drives, they are the worst I've ever seen for re-allocated (bad sectors).