CPU Temp at INSANE Temperatures after moving external heat sensor

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by SwampFox56, Jan 11, 2015.

1. SwampFox56

SwampFox56 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    So, I was getting inaccurate readings from the external heat sensor I use to monitor all of my components manually. I have four heat sensors. #1 on my CPU, #2 on my GPU (I took my GPU apart to install the sensor - took all the safety precautions, so I didn't affect it in any negative way at all) #3 on my main HDD platter; and #4 centered in my case to monitor overall system temperature.

Well, the inaccurate readings from my CPU sensor finally got to me, so I took my Liquid Cooler off - moved the sensor slightly towards the middle of my CPU, and reinstalled the heatsink/liquid cooler. Aftering doing so - the internal sensors are reading INSANE temperatures for my CPU.

I have an Intel Core i7 4770 (Haswell) so I expect it to get a little hot, but my system is reading that it's nearly 100 degrees Centigrade! The BOILING POINT OF WATER! When before - my idle temp was usually around 38-42 degrees centigrade.

Interestingly enough - my external heat sensor LCD is now reading what the interal heat sensor USED to read (around 38-42 degrees centigrade when idle). However, it still concerns me that my internal sensors would read a temperature so insanely high.

Any advice?

Oh, by the way, my computer is running totally normal. There is no sign that my CPU is getting too hot from a performance point of view.

2. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I think you are relying too much (and caring too much) about temperatures with your super duper internal external lcd blah blah. Just use your BIOS and CPU-Z to monitor the temps if you're that interested in it. Unless you are overclocking your cpu to 500000000000ghz you don't have to be so interested in it's temps.

3. ProjectONE

ProjectONE MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2015
    for liquid cooling you need
    special cooling water or cooling liquid
    loop liquid cooling system watch video on youtube or search on google images
    anti dust system
    and hi quality fan on case for escape the heat air from internal to external
    and heat sensor cost arround some dollars search on amazon or pc partpicker

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Is that sensor between your cooler and cpu? Maybe you're putting a little pressure on your cpu package at the location where the internal sensor or some if it's logic is, causing it to trip.

And what does your fan do? If it's spinning normal then you're only getting wrong readings. If the sensor would really be 100° (read: your bios also think it's that hot) then your fan should max out, and I think your CPU would also shut itself down if even throttling down wouldn't help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Definitely try reseating the CPU cooler. Sounds like it is actually jacked up from the thermal sensor. Use care....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...