Cpu Upgrade Help!!!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by passion4tech, Sep 1, 2014.

1. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    I am having trouble upgrading the cpu on my hp touchsmart 300-1025 pc. I want to upgrade the cpu from an amd athlon II X2 240e to an amd athlon II X4 615e. So I install the 615e on the computer then I power on the computer and then after hp logo screen an error message appears saying "error unsupported cpu installed". That does not make any sense. The 615e is an AM3 cpu and 45w just like the 240e. The 615e should absolutely work on this computer. Can somebody please mod the bios for this computer to make the 615e compatible? I would really appreciate it. Oh and before anybody asks, I already tried updating to latest bios from hp and still did not work so the bios needs to be modded.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NokTham

NokTham MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2013
    #2 NokTham, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    htt p://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01891516&lc=en&product=4007378&tmp_track_link=ot_searchhtt p://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01911587&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4066631

This might help, check Processors list, the athlon II X4 615e isn't on the list, if you contact HP they will claim that they do not guarantee that certain CPUs will work with certain HP machines.

3. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    NokTham the 615e should work considering that hp claims the 605e will work as well. The 605e and 615e are very similar cpu's. So the bios needs to be modded to make the 615e compatible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Can anybody please help?

5. TrevorLaneRay

TrevorLaneRay MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2014
    BIOS Flash

IMO, there shouldn't even be an "incompatible cpu" message.
    Obviously, if there's a message onscreen, the CPU put it there. So the problem lies in the motherboard bickering about what cpu it wants.
    Like the beep code. When you remove the RAM, and power on the computer, the onboard speaker (if any) should start beeping. This means the mobo, psu, and cpu are all functional.
    If you don't get a beep code, then one of them is wonky.

So yeah... Anyway...
    If you want to mod your BIOS, here's someone else that had the same problem. A Bios flash was provided.
    htt p://goo.gl/LC4PaZ (Sorry, can't create a link; don't have 20 posts yet. ;))

6. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    I am the same person that posted on that thread. I just have a different username. Nobody was helping me on that website, so I am hoping someone can help me on this website :)

7. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    So if anyone can help me on these forums I would really appreciate it :)

8. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Can anybody mod the bios for me?

9. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Can someone please mod the bios?

10. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Anyone please :(

11. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    Hey, the 615e and the 605e have a similar processor, but they aren't exactly the same. The TDP is the same, that's good. However, the 615e has a 12.5x multiplier, while the 605e has a 11.5x multiplier. Also, it appears that the 615e runs a bit hotter; specs say up to 75C. By comparison, the 605e runs up to 70C. The 615e also has a different stepping code - I don't know if that matters as much, though. Otherwise, like you said, they look identical.

Spec sheets:
    The spec sheets are on cpu-world.com, but I cannot link you to them.

Oh, and a tip: If you upgrade from 7 to 8, don't flash your BIOS in Windows. Use one of the recovery methods. Otherwise, there's a high probability your desktop may become a paperweight. Seems that WinPhlash and its ilk only work reliably from within a certain specified version of Windows. It'd be nice if they'd, you know, warn people about that. I guess that's bad for business, though.

Also, why don't you post in the BIOS-Mod request thread. Give them your model and current BIOS. Heck, even point them to the bios-mods board - maybe someone will compile it for you. Sounds like that other guy modded a section of the .bin with the PhoenixTool, he just didn't package it back up for you.

12. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Wow I did not know flashing bios in windows causes issues. Well actually I will never upgrade to windows 8, windows 7 is way better and I will stay on windows 7. So your saying modding the .bin with phoenixtool and package it will make the 615e work?

13. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    @passion4tech

It could, if you grab that bin that the fellow at bios-mods gave you. You'd 'dump' your BIOS, replace that bin, and repackage it. I've never done that, so I'm not comfortable doing that for you. When you repackage it, don't forget to put the 2.1 SLIC back in there. I'd try to flash your original BIOS into your machine (via recovery) for practice - to make sure that you can. Then, if your update partially bricks your machine, you can recover with that other proven usb-stick.

You may want to back up your activation before you try it. I can personally recommend CodyQX4's Microsoft Toolkit or KMSpico for activation backup.

Once I mod my broken laptop (here's hoping) a couple of times, I'll be more comfortable helping others hack their own BIOS. Sorry I cannot help you more.

14. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    I don't know how to dump bios , replace bin, or repackage it. So if someone can do this for me I would really appreciate it :) The bin file can be found at bios mods forums in "cpu upgrade help" thread post #4.

15. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    please anyone?

16. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    I seriously need the bios mod now because I need the 615e to work.

17. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
  18. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Which thread do I post in?

19. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Please guys I desperately need the bios mod . My computer, HP Touchsmart 300-1025, has an overheating issue. The cpu, AMD athlon II X2 240e, is causing the overheating. Long story short, when I took the 240e out of the socket some particles or debris fell into the cpu pins and surface and it's stuck there and that's why my computer overheats. I need the bios mod to make the 615e work on my computer so that my computer will stop overheating. I hope you understand why I desperately need this bios mod :(

20. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Nobody can help me :(