CPU usage very high at random times

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sebassiehihi, Nov 5, 2009.

1. sebassiehihi

sebassiehihi MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
  2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I found when this happens to me, its one of the memory sticks, i need to replace. Not sure for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    When you're at the Task Manager interface, make sure to click the "Show processes from all user", so you can see all the processes running.

Is this your first time using 64-bit? Apparently there are CPUs that are not compatible with 64-bit. Though, I'm just throwing this fact out there ... I have no idea whether your CPU is or not.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Try uninstalling AVG and replacing it with an alternative.
    Might solve your probs.

Sincerely

5. sebassiehihi

sebassiehihi MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    I have had Vista 64-bit without any problems. I tried the "processes from all users" and noticed that svchost.exe is using quite alot of memory at 126 kB, but the CPU seems somewhat stable now at 1 to 10%.

I tried that the first time and after running stable for a while it went up to 95% just like that.

6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Maybe a background service or scheduled task consumes such amount of CPU

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Could be a virus/malware. Have u thoroughly scanned the sytem ?

8. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #8 gentoo, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What about at save mode? Still high usage? A friend of mine had the same issue. At Vista 64 bit was all fine, at W7 64 bit the CPU usage raised randomly to 100%. It was a driver of his (old) sound card...after uninstalling the driver (card) it was fine...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. sebassiehihi

sebassiehihi MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Right now I'm in safe mode and it seems to be alright. It's fluctuating between 0% and 10%, I suppose thats good? The problem is that it went up to 100% on random times even after days have passed. I checked all my drivers and they were up to date.

Gentoo, I tried Windows Performance Toolkit from Windows 7 SDK but I couldnt get it to work.

11. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Please explain the issue you had with the Windows Performance Toolkit.

12. sebassiehihi

sebassiehihi MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Ehm I dont remember the error I got, but I just re-installed it and I see 2 new tabs in my program list "Microsoft Windows SDK v7.0" and "Microsoft Windows Performance toolkit". Do I have to run the Performance Analyser or CMD Shell? Those are the only 2 programms I see.

13. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    wow i went thru that problem before and with the use of safe mode i was able to determine a problem with one of my drivers within Nvidia mobo (while using vista 64) it was so bad that it will freeze everything, so i know how you feel. Truly confusing how even with safe mode on your end still goes thru the issue. Im out of ideas since all other were already said. I do recommend as other has said, just unistall one driver at a time, i bet is one of your hardware driver, which one, well u will need to find out.

14. sebassiehihi

sebassiehihi MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Yeah it is frustrating, it makes me want to re-install Vista again. Can I just uninstall every hardware driver without busting something? Maybe a dumb question but I dont know THAT much about computers.

15. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    yea first of all search for all your new drivers, download them on place them on a folder within your desktop, and i mean all drivers, ethernet, video card, sound card, any driver you might have. Also update your bios if is not moddified. Once you have search for all drivers, and if you need help check your device manager so you know which hardware you have.

Then i recommend using safe mode to unistall them all, restart your computer in safe mode and reinstall your harddrive, i hope that can help you

16. -_-_-_

-_-_-_ MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    This problem is caused by one of your usb devices wich causes on a high cpu usage why that's still not discoverd. If you see that on usb device is not working after this problem and you dont need it very much disable it in devicemaneger. Or disable all usb and there is a big chance that you don't get the problem.

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    In that case, it'll probably be your CHIPSET drivers or USB2.0 drivers (the latter being unlikely though).

But disabling all usb will not solve the issue, nearly bypass it. So try to identify which driver causes this. Uninstall every driver you may have in safe-mode, and then re-install one by one, beginning with your vendor's chipset drivers. These NEED to be installed FIRST. Then try it out, see if the issue is still there. Then install the next, and check it out again. If all are installed and the issue is still present, then it's probably not a driver issue at all.

18. sebassiehihi

sebassiehihi MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Really? How do you know if I may ask?