crack hyperv limitation in software instances

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by blackmetal, May 18, 2011.

1. blackmetal

blackmetal MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    Hello,
    in dc editoin we can create unlimited hyperv is there anyway that in enterprise version crack number of hyperv limitation and run any number of vm that we want?
    or is there any way that active w2k8 dc edition?

Thansk lot,

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #2 Myrrh, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    You misunderstand.

The limitation is in the license agreement, not in the software. Regardless of edition, you can run as many VMs on any Hyper-V server as the hardware can handle.

The license agreement states that you don't need to buy individual licenses for the VMs on DataCenter edition, but you do need them for the others. Again this is purely an accounting thing, there is no enforcement in the software.

Since you're asking about how to activate it, you apparently don't care about no stinkin' agreements, install Standard or Enterprise on your host and be done with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blackmetal

blackmetal MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    #3 blackmetal, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    (OP)
    Hello,
    so your mean is if i install windows server 2008 r2 enterprise edition on host server then i can create for example 50 virtual machine with w2k8 r2 in my host and all of them can use host license right?

there is no limitation that how many virtual machine with w2k8 r2 os can use host license?right?

Thanks,

4. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I presume if you install a free linux distro, with each virtual machine on Hyper-V, no extra costs?

But if you install W2K8 or W7, you need a licence per virtual machine.

5. blackmetal

blackmetal MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    I think myrrh has enough knowledge about this waiting for his/her reply

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    That's correct, you can create as many as you want. How many can run at a time depends on how powerful the hardware is.

The licensing is completely separate and it's up to you to decide whether and how to comply.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ir0n

ir0n MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    Well there are certain physical limitations to consider as well in regards to the type of Windows version you use for the host OS. Since we do alot of Hyper-V now for our organization and clients. For servers with 32 GB RAM or less you can use Windows Standard and Datacenter/Enterprise is used for any server that have more RAM than 32 GB. I just built a couple of 128 GB RAM Hyper-V servers for my company. Datacenter gives you unlimited guest virtual server licenses and the host license is based on physical CPU's installed. Enterprise gives you 4 guest server licenses. Of course this is if you want to play by the book. Otherwise you can run as many VM's as you want.

Windows Standard will suffice in most instances, unless you have a mega server with more than 32 GB of RAM and need Enterprise to be able to allocate the additional resources. The other thing with such a large box to have Enterprise is to utilize the failover clustering with a SAN and this is what we're doing at my job.