Crash Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by timesurfer, Mar 1, 2010.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 timesurfer, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    Hey there, I was working on my friends computer.
    I installed a pre-activated windows 7 RTM with hazar/sam1394 pre-activated $OEM$ folder in the system files.

Anyhow no activation problem or anything other thatn it occasionally crashes. No bsod or any warning or error. Just wham. Gone. :confused:

So it still starts and occasionally crashes. So I thought first try to install just clean RTM and then it started to install then rebooted couple times but then also crashed now every time I try to install with dvd-r it just stops won't even start to install or anything.
    Could this be CMOS battery maybe? It's a laptop HP Pavillion dv5000. 2GB ram and it's pretty fast actually. So any help would be nice if you care too.:)

Edit:Actually just got warning CMOS checksum bad and another error but it crashed again before i could write it down..bummer

Edit: Now I tried to boot and its trying to check memeory and then it crashed again.

Edit:And for the first time it says this version might be counterfeit and I got the not genuine in right corner but no black screen. Should I try to uninstall loader form $OEM$ and reboot then install daz and reboot.

Now I got back into windows. It gave message install failed. Should I try to install RTM. From inside windows or boot from disk?

Thanks timesurfer

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    That error would either be due to a bad cmos battery or maybe faulty bios settings. Since you've already got a bad install and hopefully havent installed any apps yet, IMO would be best to clean install RTM. Also reset your bios sttings to fefault.

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Sounds like a corrupt Bios or maybe a Bad Motherboard.
    But it could also be PSU or memory Module, etc, etc.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm thinking power supply but as nojaun said, could be motherboard too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #5 timesurfer, Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for the replies guy's. When I was lucky to reboot to windows I did two things.
    One I unistalled loader that was a hazar pre-activated then rebooted and installed daz loader then rebooted and changed time to correct which was also warning when said cmos was checksum bad.
    Got counterfeit warning but in control panel/system it said activated. So now I'm activated. But it was giving me choices when rebooting of start windows and/or rollback to system repair or something.
    Message went so fast I couldn't see fur sure.
    So I finally used malwarebytes and AV to check and all good. Now it sits and is activated and running fine. I give up. This thing is all over the place? wtf!
    I have so much respect for you guys that can actually figure this stuff out when its hardware or bios/cmos realted?
    Ultimately when I go to restart it gives me option of "start windows" or "windows setup rollback" and also after that window it sometimes says launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally
    And sometimes when go to restart it just crashes.
    But right now I got into windows and runs fine for now? This blows

Is there an cmos battery to replace or is it expensive or difficult to replace on laptop? Is this computer old enough to need it. Or could it be bios corrupted or power supply like you guys suggested:confused: Or mobo.

Edit: Then it just crashes with no errors nothin just bye user...lol

Shame it runs good when doesn't crash..lol

Thanks for anyone's input:)

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    You need to look at your minidumps.

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #7 timesurfer, Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    Can you direct me how to do that when it's running:)

Update: It's just crashing right after boot to desktop now

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    To configure startup and recovery options to use the small memory dump file, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click System.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    4. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

Next time your windows crashes, a minidump file will be created in C:\windows\Minidump folder.That file gives useful information on the error that caused the crash, when analysed with a tool like Windbg.

Good luck!

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #9 timesurfer, Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    Ok I did that but it said 128k instead of 64k. I will wait in enthusiasm for next crash, lol, and an attempt to view mindump folder.

Edit: As predictied it crashed just sitting in desktop then I checked for Minidump folder and didn't exist so wiil repeat process and see if it's user error?

Thanks dude

10. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    #10 venu, Mar 1, 2010
    The minidump may also be stored in C:\windows and be called memory.dmp. try searching for *.dmp.
    Also check entries in your event log. In "Run", type eventvwr.msc and hit enter. Look for "critical" errors for todays date and time.

11. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Dude, have you backdated your system? In the date and time column, i see 2006??

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    One of the errors I got was time/date and the CMOS checksum so I'll set to 2010 and get back thanks

13. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    you said it failed during a memory test. so check your RAM lol

14. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Doubt its a memory thing. From what i have seen, this error is mostly the result of bad drivers or a driver conflict.
    @Timesurfer,
    If you are upto it, then try the following:
    1. Boot into safe mode.
    2. If your system is stable in safe mode, you can do a Device Clean Boot to narrow down the possible cause.

Device Clean Boot
    Unplug all unnecessary devices to test your computer's performance. In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable. Alternatively, disable them in Device Manager. Then do the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK.

5. Use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still crash now?

If the system is stable, re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

15. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #16 timesurfer, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    (OP)
    Ok, thank you for your assistance venu and others. I let it run all night in same mode. No crash. Now I'm gonna try device clean boot as suggested.

I got the chance to reinstall then I activated with daz loader and installed AV. Now it runs fine but when restarting it crashes once then boots fine. So it's crashes are around boot now. I have not done device clean boot but will do that next. I'm gonna let it sit to see if it crashes besides at boot.

Edit: It finally started crashing out of nowhere again. so same problem but with new OS. I guess I'll try device clean boot now and get back to explain what happened

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #17 timesurfer, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    (OP)
    so I finally did Device Clean Boot and stil crashes evn though I unistalled devices suggested by you venu.
    Again it has new clean RTM install with daz loader in default and runs perfectly til crash with no errors or bsod.
    If anyone is interested in helping I would be thankful
    I also did memory diagnosis and first time it said harware problem then memory problem then did test again then no problem
    It also wont update with error 8024001F
    I also updated/flashed latest biso but still problem:)

17. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Again, check for a .dmp file or minidump folder. Also check your event log.

18. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    You need to click on the + sign before "critical". I need a snapshot like the one you posted previously.