Crash?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by United Armada, Jun 5, 2012.

1. United Armada

United Armada MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Im not sure exactly what it is. Randomly my computer screen will just go black, then the sound turns off. But the computer is still on. It never gives me a error report for the problem either.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    How do you get the computer back to a working state when this happens? Could it be you have your screen saver set to "Blank" or maybe the computer is set to go to sleep after a specified time interval?

A bit more information on your setup such as make and model of the computer, what video card do you have, what video driver is installed are you having any other problems and etc. would be helpful. It could be anything from a simple setting to a hardware problems to heat issues. If it's a laptop it might be your power supply.

3. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    I have to manually shut it off via power button. I cant do anything else.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You really need to supply a wee bit more information in addition to it goes black and I have to shut it down.

5. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 6/5/2012, 15:34:44
    Machine name: ANDY-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/25/10 15:20:43 Ver: 08.00.15
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16374MB RAM
    Page File: 5913MB used, 26832MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6739)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_21F91458&REV_00
    Display Memory: 739 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1000 MB
    Shared Memory: 3835 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: Acer G235H
    Monitor Id: ACR0113
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Theres my system info, but thats seriously all it does. It gives me no warnings, nothing. I just shuts off basically.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #6 PhaseDoubt, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Is this by chance a new computer still under warranty or is it a custom build? How robust is your power supply? Have you recently made any changes just before the problem started?

How about air flow through your box? I've seen computers shut down because of CPU overheating. Although those were usually AMD processors.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    "How robust" = how strong. In other words is it up to the job? The specs on the newegg site say "Standard ATX PS2 / EPS 12V (optional)" but I didn't see anything about wattage, number of rails and etc.. My question is basically asking is its power output sufficient for the job you've given it. I have no idea if it is or not, but lack of power can cause your problem. I've never had especially good luck with an included PSU. Right or wrong, my feeling is those included with the case are not really decent quality. But, obviously, that's just my opinion.

By asking about changes, I was trying to ascertain if your problem started after you made some sort of significant system change. If that was the case, undo the change and see if that fixes the problem. If you've made no changes then that can be eliminated as a possible cause.

If you feel you need extra cooling, try running the system with the case open and a box or floor fan flooding the case interior with air. If that has no effect, you can likely eliminate excessive heat as an issue.

At this point it's all a guessing games and you need to start eliminating possibilities one by one.

8. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    That link is just the case. I have a aftermarket power supply. Either 600W or 750W. I forget. Ive had this problem for quite some time. It comes and goes.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    My final guess would be a bad install. It's your computer, of course, and you're free to do as you please. If it were me, I'd backup all my data, wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

10. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    I dont have the windows install disc. Otherwise that is what I would have done already.

11. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    if it helps any, this issue occurs when i alt-tab through windows.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That is no excuse there are direct links on this forum to download windows 7. If this is a genuine copy of windows make sure you backup your windows key.

13. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Before you reinstall Windows, check the 4-pin CPU power connector(see below), exactly the same problem happened to me.

atx12v.jpg

Also, schedule a RAM test, or use a linux distro to check for bad RAM.

14. Dave-UK

Dave-UK MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Have you checked in the Event Viewer and also the Reliability Monitor ?

15. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    This is the stuff from the past 2 weeks thats in the event viewer.

-The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.
    -A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the AMD External Events Utility service to connect.
    -The AMD External Events Utility service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
    -The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

16. Dave-UK

Dave-UK MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I think it's something to do with a power feed problem somewhere but I don't know where.
    I guess I'd first try another power supply.

17. Tahunasky

Tahunasky MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    The first thing i would test would be graphics card and monitor.. Do you have a spare graphics card, or can borrow one from someone..
    You can also try using another monitor, or trying your monitor on another PC..

Usually this kind of faulty is cause by faulty graphics card, over heating, or not enough power getting to the graphics card - weather from under powered power supply or faulty power supply or cabling.

But the monitor could be faulty, and the reboot of pc is causing reset, which brings it to life again.. I have seen this once with an LCD.. would go blank from power saver coming on when no activity on PC, then it couldnt get out of power saving mode until PC was rebooted or monitor was disconnected from PC and reconnected again..