Crashing still

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by United Armada, Jul 3, 2012.

1. United Armada

United Armada MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2011
  2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dave-UK

Dave-UK MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    See if there is anything in the Reliablity Monitor.
    Control Panel > Action Center > Maintenance > View reliabilty history.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    With random BSODs, you got to start testing 1X1 until you find the problem. Reading system generated reports and crash dumps can help sometimes, but in the end you got to get your fingers dirty.
    >Reset the BIOS back to factory default.

>Check for bad cables; they do suddenly go bad, it happens.

>Use Memtest 86+ to test memory, test one stick at a time if you are running multiples. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot with the disc.

>Use Seatools for DOS to test if any of your hard drives are failing; it doesn't have to be your main, any bad slave drives connected can crash a system.

>Get a power supply tester, all it takes is one bad rail to gooch up the whole system. I had one bad computer this week that gave me headaches until I used my tester on the PS. Newegg carries several.

>If you are running a separate video card and you do have integrated video on the motherboard, remove the video card and see if your crashes stop. Your computer will auto-switch to the mobo video.

That should get you started, let us know how it goes. I would give you links but the board won't let me until I post my 20. Good hunting!

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Truer words have never been spoken. There are no magic bullets; you just have to jump in with both feet (hand?) and do the [sometimes costly] dirty work.

6. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    The reliability monitor doesnt show anything because I just installed windows, it says it takes a couple hours to gather that information.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    By the way, just as an afterthought, you did install the mobo chipset and video drivers after the clean install, right?

8. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    Yes I did. Is there a easy way to check for bad wires? or even a way to narrow this problem down in a way where I dont need to spend money.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    Except for the power supply tester ($20) everything I suggested is free. Did you test your memory and hard drive?
    re: your question: you can test the cable integrity by moving the connected cables up and down, side to side and rotate them while the computer is running. The best way is to swap them out with new ones, but if money is a crunch this may help. If there are any restarts, video screen goes black, BSODs, you have bad cables that need replacing. If you have multiple hard drives disconnect and test the cables as I detailed above 1x1. In addition, boot into safe mode and run your computer for a while. If your BSODs stop your problem is software - something is loading that is conflicting and causing a crash. If you still have crashes, start to suspect hardware, which brings us back to testing your memory and hard drive as I mentioned earlier.

Overheating is one of the most common causes of crashes especially in older machines, so clean the dust out from the inside of the case. Disconnect the computer, pop the side off your case, take a vacuum cleaner reversed to blow out, attach a crevice tool, and blow out all the dust, making sure you get the heatsink and fan especially. Blow the air through the exhaust ports of the power supply. Do this on the porch outside, you may be amazed at the cloud of dust that comes out. Be gentle, do not touch anything, just direct the air. Then recheck all is tight inside. Make sure all the fans are running and one didn't quit, including the power supply fan exhausting out the rear; especially this applies if you hear any buzzing noises coming out of the case. This is why I build using cases that have LED CPU temperature readouts, an occasional glance at the gauge can alert you to problems long before they materialize. These are the steps I have been taking for 15 years of servicing old units and I have never failed to find the problem yet. As I said in my 1st post, you got to get your fingers dirty.
    Here is a link to a pinned building post that may help; add the triple w at the front. I hope I am not stepping on any forum toes doing this, if so I will remove it.
    suggestafix(DOT COM)/index.php?showtopic=20852

10. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    From what I could see the wires are good. The monitor cable is a little old, but it shouldnt be causing any crashes, if anything just the monitor to turn off. My RAM is good according to a scan I did just prior to reformatting my PC. my CPU temps good imo, Im running like 5 180mm+ fans and the hottest thing in my CPU is the GPU which runs anywhere from 45-65 degrees Celsius.

The next time i crash, which WILL be soon. I will restart in safe mode.

11. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    Just did another memory test. There was no errors. Safe mode didnt give me a error. I will try it again tomorrow.

12. ranchhand

ranchhand MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    The GPU is a processor on modern video cards, the CPU is the main chip processor in the computer. If you are consistently running up to 65°C you should bring that down, your ambient temperature in the box may even be higher, and your memory may run higher yet depending on what you are doing.

13. teddz

teddz MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks for advice guys.
    It's very usefull for newbie like me. :worthy:

I :orb: Windows.

14. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    So basically my computer has become unusuable because of this issue. Just today its crashed 5+ times.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    2 possibilities... not in depth checking.
    1: i seen a kingston 1gb 667mhz batch of bad ram that passed tests with memtest back in 2007.

2: os is x64 or x86 ?
    i saw a friend that had issues with x64 and some drivers... bsod daily.
    went x86 from original untouched magnet link in "official windows 7 repository" and never had issue again.

if u have pci-e card and onboard video. try onboard video without pci-e card as a test.
    also try 1 ram stick at a time.

what motherboard version. bios version.?

16. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    Ok, so I figured out what was causing it. It only crashes, i believe, when i Alt-Tab out of a full screen game.

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Try bring up the Task Manager and either shutting down the running game program or the process (processes?) associated with the game to shut it down.

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try alt enter to make game smalller . then u can alt tab.. i had same issue ti ll game got updated. battlefield.play4free

19. United Armada

Sep 22, 2011
    your not understanding. I dont want to close the game, I alt-tab to look at youtube or twich.tv.

20. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You're not understanding what I'm getting at. If doing Alt-Tab is what's causing the problem, and so far you haven't found the root cause of your problem, you have two choices: continue to do Alt-Tab and continue to crash your system or stop doing Alt-Tab and not crash your system.

When you bring up Task Manager, you have available a "Switch To" button that will allow you to switch to a different application. Maybe use that to use your browser to watch Youtube or to watch twitch.tv. And when you do wish to shut down the game use Task Manager to do that too.

Apparently Alt-Tab is not a friendly key combination on your system and also apparently not using it is your only workaround if you don't want you system to keep crashing. It shouldn't be that way, but apparently it is.