Create installation media from recovery partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Venkman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Venkman

Venkman MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Hi all,

I got an HP dx2400 which comes with a recovery partition.
    It is possible to boot into recovery, but unfortunately it says that it would not be suitable for this PC.
    I also have an Windows XP SP3 OEM disc, which I can use for installation.
    But unfortunately again, there is only a sticker with Vista key, the XP installation is only available through the recovery partition.
    I extracted the XP key from the unattend.txt, but it is not accepted by the OEM disc.

Could somebody please tell me what to do with the data/key from the recovery partition to get a working installation on my PC again?

Thanks a lot. :)

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Install without entering a key, use the oembios changer with the appropriate oembios set. the key will be entered automatically with the tool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Venkman

Venkman MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    How do I do that?
    Windows XP always asks for a key and does not allow to skip that.
    Could I install with a key from another PC and keep it disconnected from network?

Let's assume I mastered the installation somehow, where can I find these stuff? I know Google & co., but this does not mean that I find the appropriate version.
    Since this is a genuine HP dx2400, I think it should already have the necessary OEM information in its BIOS?

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stickies..read the stickies.

SP3 installation media will ask for a key but allow to skip and enter it later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Venkman

Venkman MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Okay, I've done it. :coffee:
    But I still have questions.

I cannot get the key from my unattend.txt to work and there is also no .BAT file for it in the "pro" folder of the oembios changer.
    Since the key is no secret (starting with CD87T), I googled for it and found sources with everything:

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Retail
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade w/ Service Pack 2 Integrated
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional Retail w/ Service Pack 2 Integrated

At least my recovery partition contains SP2, but it did not work with SP2 or SP3 ISOs I created with nLite from this recovery partition.

Is there any reliable way to determine the version a key is suitable for?
    And can I somehow create a .BAT file for my key?

Thanks in advance.

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    look inside the installation files and locate the file called "Winnt.sif", open with notpad and you will see your key. are you sure you have professtional version?

7. Venkman

Venkman MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    I already have the key, that's not the problem.
    I just want to determine the Windows version from the key.
    It is the professional version, as it is a HP Compaq dx2400 Business PC.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What about this??

9. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #9 NICK@NUMBER11, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    this may help you, if the incorrect PID is set on your downloaded isos.....

First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your Windows XP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
    Pid=55034000
    The Pid value is what we're in this for. What's there now looks like a standard default, but that is no good. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, OEM, or volume license edition. First, we must break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, i.e. is it a retail CD that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an OEM CD that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determine what CD key it will accept.

You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a Windows XP CD that acted like a retail CD, but then yet accepted OEM keys.

This is in my opinion a very useful tweak if done properly, so listen up!

Here are the individual values, the first and last values are interchangeable but you should keep them together:
    •Retail = 51882 335
    •Volume License = 51883 270
    •OEM = 82503 OEM

Now if you wanted a retail CD that accepted the retail CD key then you would use.

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that accepted OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

10. Venkman

Venkman MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    #10 Venkman, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)