Create normal dvd for install

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by fedewt, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    With standard 7 sp1 toolkit, I create a kind of OS perfect for my needs and friend's needs.
    Is based from template of thinpc but add .net all, premium codecs, some drivers and more other useful things.
    More made some personalization and I think made a good work.
    Now I would like create a normal DVD, like retail win7, for install it in many pc.
    My procedure was the following:

.Create with toolkit the xml file.
    .Install in vm from IBW with attach personalized xml.
    .Run the vm and sysprep the os.
    .Mount vm hd and capture system in install.wim.
    .Copy the captured install.wim in a retail win7 iso.

When I try to install it give me error.
    How can I create a normal dvd retail for install it?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

PS:Sorry for my bad english :D

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    I don't think this will work with a regular Windows 7 ISO.
    When booting from IBW you can also select "Deploy an answer file or WIM", so you could include the answer file or your WIM on the IBW disc and then deploy it using IBW.

Also, if you're not doing any customizations before sysprepping the image you don't really need to deploy and then capture the image. If you have installed the Toolkit with IBW, you can use Tools > Create Media > Create IBW image from answer file to create an installation disc.

3. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I just think about "Create IBW image from answer file" but have a big problem, run tap.exe command to add hardware in answer file in every pc where install it.
    If I use normal IBW can give option to detect hardware, but when use an automated xml the installation procedure skip the detection of hardware, so it will be impossible install the same image in different pc.

4. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Just a thought, but no guarantees!

The ThinPC iso may be more use than a retail Windows 7 iso, since it was created as a vehicle for setting up a Windows Embedded system product. You can look inside many of the archive files including wim, swm, exe, dll, cab, etc., with 7-Zip.

As far as drivers are concerned, each different target machine will require its own driver pack to customize the generalized sysprepped image you create in the install.wim, which can then be included in the specialized pass of OOBE on installation. You could presumably create a single driver pack to cover all possibilities. You might end up with some redundant drivers installed.

I think you can use the ICE in the Toolkit to specify during which pass the drivers are installed.

You also now have about 24 windows updates to install on WES7 Sp1 installations! You may want to bundle those in too!

5. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    After sysprep and capture wim, if I put it in thinpc dvd, it install without problem in many pc.
    Now I will try to create a 64bit version.
    But I notice also if I sysprep and capture wim and copy install.wim in IBW dvd create from answer file, it install in different pc without problem.
    The potential of this solution is very high.

6. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
  7. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    #7 fedewt, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    (OP)
    YES!!!!!!
    I found the way for a correct procedure!
    Found way to install a customize windows embedded 32 or 64 bit in various pc like a retail mode.
    Make hardware detention and, at the moment, haven't any issue.
    My goal was to create a dvd install iso with a windows embedded for my needs.
    I create a windows thinpc tweak, with all .net, all codecs and without the write filter with included ie9, prefetch and superprefetch enable by default and page swap in automatic mode enable.
    The solution is edit the autounattended.xml file in dvd image, created with 'ICE -> Create IBW image from answer file'.
    Now I will test it very well, if everything work fine I will post the final procedure for have it. :cool:

EDIT: Work well in Hyper-v and Vmware Workstation, now I need test it in some real pc...

8. Elite2k

Elite2k MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    looking forward to hearing your method :D this is exactly what Ive been looking for as well.

thanks

9. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    After many times, I confirm that this method work well with 32 or 64bit version of OS created.

The most important is put in image all drivers needed!

- Create windows embedded as you like in toolkit.
    - Validate and save answer file xml configuration.
    - Open Tools->Create Media->Create IBW image from answer file and chose a directory where save the files, example C:\winemb.
    - Create the bootable iso from directory just created with command "oscdimg -bC:\winemb\boot\etfsboot.com -u2 -h -m C:\winemb C:\image\image.iso" in Windows PE Tools Command Prompt
    - Boot from a vm or other pc with iso just created and install windows as usual.
    - At first boot when ask to put name of user press ctrl-shift-f3, the system reboot in sysprep.
    - After reboot you can, if want, personalize windows as you like.
    - When done lanche the command "sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown", the system shut down, don't on it again!.
    - Now have to capture the image with imagex, possible find many tutorial in forum or in google. (sorry for not post it, but I can't yet post links :(
    - Copy the created wim in \sources directory where toolkit save the IBW files example C:\winamb\sources overwrite the old one.
    - In same directory delete the directory AutoUnattend_Files
    - Edit file AutoUnattend.xml (better and easier if use a specific editor) delete all tree "servicing" and save it.
    - Now run again command in Windows PE Tools Command Prompt for create the iso as example: oscdimg -bC:\winemb\boot\etfsboot.com -u2 -h -m C:\winemb C:\image\final-image.iso.

It's all!
    Hope to help many people!
    Enjoy!

10. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    can driverpacks.net driverpacks be incorparated into your method somehow? with the Keep The Drivers option it should make it universal so that it will load most of the drivers needed if booting from usb into a new machine.