Creating a Windows 10 AIO USB stick

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jimwatts, Jul 30, 2015.

1. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    Hi all,
    I was wondering how I would go about making an AIO usb stick with all uk versions 32 and 64 bit bootable with Uefi and MBR so I can install to GPT and NTFS partitions all from 1 stick. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    #3 genenioo, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #4 murphy78, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can download the media creation tool and use it for the file structure. If you point it at a USB and select both architectures it will create the thing.
    The only problem I see is that the autorun.inf in the root points to an error msg if you run in 32-bit mode, which is incorrect as the setup is 32-bit.
    I changed it to:
    Code:
    [AutoRun.Amd64]
    open=setup.exe
    icon=setup.exe,0

[Autorun]
    open=setup.exe
    icon=setup.exe,0

4. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    Hi all,
    I managed to integrate all the 32bit wims into one and all the 64 bit wims into one and then use the Core edition 32 bit and 64 bit files to create each iso.
    If I use the media creation tool as you mentioned Murphy would that integrate the two into one and make it Uefi and MBR compatible as well as enabling upgrade to each version from inside windows? ... Also is there a download link for the media creation tool?
    I did at one point try making an AIO by using WinAIO maker and it seemed to work although when trying to Upgrade using a 64 bit Core Windows 10 it complained that it was 32 bit version even though i'd selected 64 bit..... Also the other thing I was thinking...is it right that to install to Uefi GPT partitions the stick has to be formatted in Fat32?....this poses the problem of the combined wim file size as it's over 4gb....I thought maybe split the wim with dism but not sure of the commands for this.

5. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #6 IAmTheDude, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Im doing pretty much the same.

Created my x86 and x64 wims with four indexes (Pro,Ent, Ent LTSB & Home) and using the MCT dual arch iso as a base to drop the wims into.

What I cant remember is wether you have to do stuff to the boot.wim cuz Im using different versions.

For the 4gb limit, I used imagex to export with max compression and the x64 wim ended up at 3.41gb and the x86 at 2.53gb which is brill!

You'll obviously have to change the paths, file names and index numbers but thats the commands I used.

I think to recompress a already built wim its something like:

Code:
    imagex /export pathtooldwim * pathtonewwim /compress maximum /check /verify
    Code:

D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\64.wim 1 d:\new64.wim 1 /compress maximum /check /verifyD:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\ent64.wim 1 d:\new64.wim 2 /compress maximum /check /verify
    D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\entltsb64.wim 1 d:\new64.wim 3 /compress maximum /check /verify
    D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\64.wim 2 d:\new64.wim 4 /compress maximum /check /verify

D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\86.wim 1 d:\new86.wim 1 /compress maximum /check /verify
    D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\ent86.wim 1 d:\new86.wim 2 /compress maximum /check /verify
    D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\entltsb86.wim 1 d:\new86.wim 3 /compress maximum /check /verify
    D:\tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe /export  d:\86.wim 2 d:\new86.wim 4 /compress maximum /check /verify

If its still too big you can attempt to convert to either a split-wim or ESD.

Im gonna have a play later see what crack is.

6. Crisis2050

Crisis2050 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2011
    #7 Crisis2050, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    My Solutions is:

1. Download Windows Kits
    2. Install

3. Some info:

Windows 10 x64 install.wim index:
    1. Windows 10 Pro
    2. Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 x86 install.wim index:
    1. Windows 10 Pro
    2. Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 AiO install.wim index:
    1. Windows 10 Pro
    2. Windows 10 Home
    3. Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    4. Windows 10 Home (x64)

4. Create this folder Tree:

AIO-|-DVD (Windows 10 x86 windows version)
    |-WIMS (All install.wim to add in dvd)

This is my example (all commands are in Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment with admin rights):

Extract image from Source .wim to new .wim
    imagex /export "D:\Kitchen\AIO\Wims\install10x64.wim" 1 "D:\Kitchen\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 10 Pro (x64)"

Extract image from Source .wim to new .wim
    imagex /export "D:\Kitchen\AIO\Wims\install10x64.wim" 2 "D:\Kitchen\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 10 Home (x64)"

Read new .wim index info:
    imagex /info D:\Kitchen\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim

Create Windows 10 DVD Image
    oscdimg.exe -lWIN10AIO -m -u2 -bD:\Kitchen\AIO\DVD\boot\etfsboot.com D:\Kitchen\AIO\DVD D:\Kitchen\AIO\Win10AIO.ISO

7. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    I tried using that initially added all the wims.... 32 bit then 64 bit and used 32bit Core edition as the base to drop new install wim into. I then used Rufus to create a USB that was UEFI and MBR Compatible.
    When I came to do an upgrade install from within windows it complained that it couldn't be installed as the version I was trying to install was 32 bit and asked for 64 bit installer.
    That is exactly what i'm trying to do. I managed to integrate all the wims ok....but then they would have been too big for Fat 32 drive...so thinking maybe split the wim with Dism if I can find the commands to do that. Also wondering if by creating stick with Rufus compatible with MBR and UEFI it would be truly compatible and allow install to GPT partitions or whether it would only install to NTFS. Also was I right to use 32 bit Windows Core to drop the install wim into or should I have used 64 bit version?

8. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
  9. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    I tried making an aio by using the media creation tool selecting 64 bit and 32 bit architecture then dropping in an ESD install wim file made with Winaio maker which had all installs on it which had then been converted from wim to esd using esd decrypter.
    When booting to install 64 bit home edition it gets to install screen where you insert a key and when you skip it cancels saying it cannot find the user agreement.

I then tried just making an aio 64 bit one by using Winaio maker to combine the 64 bit wims into one then dropped it into 64 bit home edition and saved iso. I then used Rufus set to UEFI GPT and Fat 32 and browsed to that iso. This worked fine to clean install....all versions showed up and Home edition installed perfectly.
    Still trying to figure out the best way to get both architectures in one working.

10. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
  11. Mandy

Mandy MDL Member

Oct 15, 2010
  12. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #14 xinso, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Some AIO creator uses install.wim compressed with /Compress:Recovery format, which will fail the in-place upgrade.

13. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    It seems that all in one .iso's just aren't as critical as they were with 7 and 8 since Microsoft's MSDN .iso's contain both Home and Pro and OEM and retail versions all in one shot. There's just one for x86 and one for x64. So unless you have a real need for Enterprise or Education versions you can have just two discs or USB sticks that will cover both Home and Pro, again, one for x86 and one for x64. They of course will do clean installs and not only will do upgrades without any fuss, but will do upgrades that give you the free version and keep your programs and data, something the aios don't seem to be capable of at the moment.

14. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I have two W10 ISOs on my bootable USB drive....one 32bit and the other 64bit. Those ISOs have Home and Pro on them, downloaded from Microsoft.

If I want to do an upgrade, I just install WinRAR first, copy over and unpack the appropriate ISO, and do the in-place upgrade from that.

Worked on several machines I've done it on.

T