Creating OEM Windows 2008 for VM

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by latidell, Sep 19, 2010.

1. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hi,

I use Windows 2008 on VM for training purpose. I use Dell PC's and Laptops. If I change the image from one machine to another I have to reactivate Windows 2008. When it comes to few machines, I run out of activation keys. I would like to keep one image which works on all machines without activating

What I would like to know is there anyone in a similar situation has better solution for activation process

Is it possible create an OEM Windows 2008 iso using a Dell OEM XP/Vista/Win7?

Appreciate any assistance

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    KMS/MAK activation is the only option I can think of if you do move the image between different machines

sebus

3. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    I guess I will have to create an OEM iso image of OS and then use with SLIC ROM.

Is there a guide to create and OEM iso image of Windows 2008 somewhere on the forum?

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You did NOT specify what engine will run this VM
    If you do then it is easier to give you proper solution

2008? Why not R2?

sebus

5. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hi there,

OK, I'm using VM Workstation 7.1 on Dell Laptops D630/830(XP x32)/E6510(W7 x64)

At the moment, I should use Windows 2008 Ent and this has become compulsory . I will use R2 later but I don't know when

Let me know if know any more info

Thanks in advance

6. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    It is very much possible to make a OEM disc, provided you find out with SLIC it is using, like Dell, HP, there are guides in this very forum itself, let me know if you need further assistance and I will be willing to help you out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Since I'm very new to this subject please bear with me

I have 2.0 on D830 and 2.1 on E6510

OK, I got a question; Why do we need SLIC of host machine if the OS will be installed on VM, bear with me as I'm new to this stuff

Thanks

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    I tried the Multi-Brand BIOS installer. I don't want start-up screen to change. I don't want anyone to notice that something has changed

Let me put it this way; I just want to create a VM image of Windows 2008 on any of D630/830/E6510 and then move it around any of those models without activating

So, what I need is a easy steps to create an OEM disc so that I can use DELL SLIC ROM in the vm

Hope you guys can help me with his

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why do you insists on a DVD?

You want to create your VM & simply add to its folder VM.314.DELL.SLIC.21.IMAGE.ROM & add in .vmx file a single line:

bios440.filename = "E:\Vmware\VM.314.DELL.SLIC.21.IMAGE.ROM"

Then you kep moving the whole folder, nice & easy

Of you mean, you do not want to see BIOS with Dell SLIC 2.1?
    Then do yourself BIOS mod (with Andy Phoenix tool)

sebus

11. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hi Sebus,

You are correct. That is the way I'm using XP/Vista and Win7. That works perfect. That is because I use Dell OEM CD/DVD to create the first image. This is exactly what I want with Windows 2008 too.

Reason why I'm asking is to create a Windows 2008 DVD is that I do not posses Dell OEM Windows 2008 DVD. I'm using MSDN Windows 2008 DVD ISO files.

My question, if I use Dell SLIC 2.1 in the vmx file as in XP/Vista/Win7 and create an image with MSDN Win2008, will it be activated or activated as Dell OEM?

Thanks

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And what do you need the OEM DVD for?

Just install the MSDN version in VM, apply OEM SLP key + certificate, point the vmx to the SLIC-ed BIOS & you are done, what is so difficult?

But if you insist on creating OEm DVD then read the stickies in Windows 7 section

sebus

13. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Sebus, Thanks

OK, I'm getting there I guess

How to do "apply OEM SLP key + certificate"? Where do I get OEM SLP key + certificate?

This is what I'm missing. If I get this thing right then my problem is solved.

And I don't think I need an OEM Disk

14. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    FreeStyler was just giving link to search page, he wasn't doing the searching for him.

16. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hello there,

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood here

I did search and that's how I got my XP/Vista/Win7 images activated; thanks to all efforts by all of you

Now, I don't ask anything without searching; my problem is I need bit of a push

Please, which files should I download and where to put them. That will be be very good enough

I searched, searched and searched.. But, don't know way forward

I guess, my problem is, I don't understand the process

I'm sorry guys if I've asked a lot

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  18. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Very big thank for all of you helped me..

Finally managed...

Now I have an image which I could move around without activating

19. latidell

latidell MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    What I did,

I downloaded Dell Ultimate OEM file

I copied oem.xrm-ms to c:\

Typed slmgr.vbs -upk
    Typed slmgr.vbs -ilc c:\oem.xrm-ms
    Typed slmgr.vbs -ipk 26Y2H-YTJY6-CYD4F-XXXX-XXXX

Edited the vmx file and copied SLIC2.1.rom file VM folder