Creation of a low space using Windows 10 Pro ISO

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Feb 25, 2018.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Creation of a low space using Windows 10 Pro ISO

What would be the easiest way to do?

I may need to start to create a 'Homebrew' version to install on a Tablet with just 16GB ROM and 1GB RAM. It runs already a Windows 10 Home 17009, just I need the Pro Version for to be able to use some more features, and would deleting Apps which I do not need at all, like Defender, Cortana, Edge and so on.

What would be a suggested way to go? Ntlite? ADK?

I don't want to 'modify' an installed Windows 10 Pro, I need to create an ISO to be used for multiple installations using VL and KMS Client for activation. The latter means, I need also include the files EI.cfg and PID.txt into Sources of the ISO for to prevent the use of an already used HWID of the Testing machine, which I'll use for the testing before 'going' to the final used Tablets.

Any polite pieces of advice are very appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have installed on the same diminutive setup such as yours, but with 2 GB RAM. I would suggest upgrading to 2 GB if possible. That being said, you aren't going to notice any difference at all between a full install, and a stripped down version. I have done it, and there is no difference. It will be slow as shït (I had a 1 GHz CPU, though, hopefully yours is better.) Can you get a SSD drive for this? To keep the size of the install to a minimum, clean it all up with the cleanmgr /sageset:1, and cleanmgr:sagerun:1 commands in a command window as administrator. After complete, run Compact.exe /CompactOS:always, and you will save more than 2 GB of space. I suggest you keep Defender. It will do what you want with little or no noticeable load. I wouldn't delete anything at all, just install normally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the answer.

First, at all, it's a Tablet with just 16GB ROM, 1GB RAM and 8" screen, nothing of that could be changed. The CPU is quite well and fast, an Intel Atom 4 core. It works well with the home version. And, it's not just for my own Tablet, one of my customers bought 40 of them and need to upgrade to the Pro Version. The full install of the Pro version would end up with 13GB of used space. So to strip down is essential for the use.

So, what I need, is a down stripped ISO of Windows 10 Pro (finally), and that I've to create on my own. I also could (and would) delete all not needed drivers and embed the special needed drivers for that Tablet into the ISO as well. What also is a need, is the possibility for to use at least 2 Languages (English & Thai) or may, even more, latter depend on the need of my customer.

The simple fact what I need to do is, not just the cancel services, I need to delete un-needed apps. and for my customer also apps, which he didn't want to be used in his company, like any games etc.!

I'd prepared a Test machine (just MB-HDD-Scree) and use for the test just 1 16GB Partition for to test that ISO. At the moment I've one ISO of the Pro, which needs 8GB space but just a single language.

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You should be able to delete any unnecessary apps with MSMG toolkit. I tried NTLite a couple times, and didn't really care for it, and I am familiar with integrating drivers, but not removing them. Can they simply be deleted manually from a mounted image? I have actually stripped down Enterprise, and achieved a 7 GB install after cleaning, and compression, and I didn't delete the drivers, Cortana, Defender, Hyper-V, or Edge. But, I deleted everything else. I did this with MSMG toolkit. So, you should be pretty successful in your efforts. I can understand deleting the games, and all for a company. That makes sense.

5. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    1GB RAM. x64 or x86?

1GB RAM Tablet? I have never have one of that.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    By 1GB RAM? 32bit (x86) only!

7. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    But you are an expert already. How can a noobie make it better for you?

My wife has a 2GB RAM Tablet which allows UEFI x64 only. A headache to me.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks a lot for that. Wasn't thinking about MSMG, will try that and see how far I could go with that.

My customer will use the Tablets strictly for business with some special apps only. That means, there will be a lot of deleted, all that's really not needed for his work. One more thing is, neither Home and Enterprise will work with WiFi Mouses (not wireless, strictly WiFi, no receiver) because of the limitation of Bluetooth, more than max 2 BL devices at the same time is not possible.

As I tested on my own Tablet, the use of Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse at the same time is a bit problematic. And that WiFi Mouse need a special app, which works on Pro only, but Home and/or Enterprise, I tested that already.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Look at what I am, below my username. I also sometimes just 'over-see' something!

It was just a day ago, my customer contacted me about that because he knows that I use that tablet already and he was getting a very good offer so he bought those 40pcs at once. I'm just at the beginning with the test and looking for what to use. And as an imperfect human, I don't shy to ask others as well.

10. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    At least 2 Languages (English & Thai) and working Windows update? And a special WiFi Mouse which works on Pro only.

It's gonna be a big challenge.

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    My wife has a wireless keyboard, and mouse connected through the same USB device. Maybe you could use something like that instead of Bluetooth.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The problem is, there's only 1 Mini USB on the Tablet, and need to use a OTG Cable, you could only use it for to charge and 1 USB device, not more, Multi-Connect OTG will not work correctly! Using a USB Hub, only 2 devices could be connected and work!

I tested many ways already and I come to the use of max 2 USB and 2 Bluetooth devices at the same time:
    • BL = Keyboard and connect to other Mobile or LA
    • WiFi = Mouse, and Internet!
    All need to work if the user of the tablet is on the move means not in his office or home!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No problems with the normal Pro, all Languages will just work. I use Thai, German, English, and Danish on my AU101 Tablet (32GB/2GB/64GBTIF) and also Windows update works with no problems. It's just the W803T which would work with no problems with the full version of 10 Pro, but will out of space because of the 16GB ROM. Even if a 64GB TIF is used.

14. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @xinso: sorry for to answer late, I was outside and just came back.

Thanks for that info, I'll take a close look at it and see I could use for my own. But I got problems with the Chinese Language, I don't understand at all! I would need to talk to a friend for to get translated.

What apps did you use for the changes? Thanks.

16. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    It's OK.

You can safely remove pakages in the list. Then do further optimization with NTLite, e.g. Language support, Drivers, etc.

17. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #17 xinso, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    I always go my own way to remove packages.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @xinso: Thanks a lot for the detailed answers.

I'll need to go step by step and look what I could safely remove/delete. There isn't be a hurry and I'll have about 2 weeks for to finish the job, which should be much enough. Just I also have more work to do on my 7 days a' week job.

19. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #19 xinso, Feb 25, 2018
    Good.

Please do remember: For RS3/RS4 Hyper-V, HyperV-Guest-Networking-SrIov-onecore-Package must be the first thing to remove.

HyperV-Guest-Networking-SrIov-onecore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.16299.15
    Microsoft-Windows-HyperV-Guest-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.16299.15
    Microsoft-Hyper-V-ClientEdition-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.16299.15
    Microsoft-Windows-OneCore-Containers-Opt-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.16299.15

20. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #20 xinso, Feb 25, 2018
    7 days a' week job? God bless you.