Creators clean USB installation Start Menu results vary.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by colsearle, May 24, 2017.

1. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    I'm getting some wild results installing Creators 10 1703 from a freshly created USB flash drive.

Sometimes the start menu wont allow me to re position items. Sometimes I just have the tile with the download arrow sometimes everything is perfect.

Is anyone else experiencing such issues ?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Is your iso original and did you verify the checksums? I install win 10.0.15063.xxx many times a week and never had any crippling problems.

3. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    because of the conent mangement stuff windows downloads applications based on the edition.
    no internt = download arrow
    maybe if the download is imcomplete you can't rearrange but I would guess this is just a timing problem. after some time windows works normal.

4. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    Enthousiast The USB flash drive was created using the Microsoft windows media creation tool.

KNARZ I always disconnect from the web during installation and reconnect when I'm on the desktop. On some install's ( Same machine and USB flash drive ) those arrows just would not clear. Sometimes standard tiles were missing such as solitaire. Updating in Store would also not fix the problem. Adding control panel would sometimes work but then if I tried to move the tile it would vanish.

I've had such random start menu behaviour its difficult to keep track. I wonder if it would serve me better to use a usb 2.0 port rather then 3.0 but anyhow I have given up on it for today as the last attempt worked perfectly but it is a strange one. Nothing wrong with the web 70mb connection.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Connected or disconnected shouldn't make any difference, i always connect during OOBE, never have any problems.

Use the startmenu troubleshooter and see what happens.

6. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    Troubleshooter - No problems found when I ran it.

7. kosta20071

kosta20071 MDL Addicted

Jan 8, 2012
    I also had this kind of problems with the start menu on the last two builds! Yesterday I did a clean install and mistakenly pinned My Computer to start menu and had issue with start menu saving the layout, after doing restart the start menu resets and I see only My Computer pinned and every change I do is vanished after a restart.

To fix this kind of issues you have to create a new local account , delete the previous one and login back to your Microsoft Account. Worked for every time .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    First appearance of Start Menu in Win 10 looked promising but went down the drain when they ported it to XAML. Additionally it seems to get worse with each new Windows version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    Today i have upgraded a HP Win 8.0 to Creators via assistive and I'm unable to add to start menu Pics Music etc on the left. Tried a new user account no joy. Settings wont stick.

What on earth is going on ? Clean installing now fingers crossed.

10. Valiosa

Valiosa MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    This problem occurs when you install Win 10 CU without internet, I have exactly same problem. But when I install with internet on - all seem fine, no idea what causes it.

11. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    But then you end up with some mad username folder in Users folder. I'm going to reapply an 8.1 image and CU with a connection to test.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What mad username folder in users folder?

You mean defaultuser0? That also happens when online during install.

13. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    #13 colsearle, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    (OP)
    My apologies I may have been thinking when signing in with a Microsoft account during OOBE.
    I'd hate to think that creators edition requires the Internet during OOBE. Quite often there's other things I want to do before Windows connects to the web. I run a small repair business so I'm installing daily.
    It makes no sense that a wireless connection can be declined if the installation requires it.

14. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    When 1703 came out there was a problem when dragging Start Menu icons. They'd jump around and it wouldn't be fluid moving them, or sometimes it was hard to "pick them" to drag around, then a Cumulative Update came and solved it.
    Still I have something weird on one updated installation running 1703 regarding the Start Menu, sometimes after log in tile groups aren't in the same position as I left them. Seems also related to multiple user log ins.

15. catsado

catsado MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2010
    Yeah I hate the 10 start menu. Some times it won't remember my settings. Icons I have pinned or the way I have resized it. That's why I'm using startisback, working like a charm and no problems at all.

16. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    #17 colsearle, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    (OP)
    Still ridiculous,

I'm on my 3rd install on a HP machine here. This time desktop shortcuts playing around. 1st Windows Defender desktop shortcut - White blank. 2nd Reinstalled - Skype desktop shortcut - white blank.

3rd install everything ok. Would somebody be kind enough to tell me what on earth is going on ?

Edit:
    I spoke to soon. After Store updated newly created desktop icons were white but I managed to fix it with this .bat file

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
    shutdown /r /f /t 00

These are clean installs..... I shouldn't be clearing icon caches ffs.

17. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Haven't used the Media Creation Tool but just directly downloaded the ISO from MS' site and used it for both upgrading from 1607 and clean installs. No such Start Menu issues so your account is puzzling. Perhaps it's a hardware/driver related issue?