Critical Error, start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dummekuehe, Oct 12, 2015.

1. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Critical Error, start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in.
    Only option is to click "Sign out now"

Using Windows 10 Pro.
    I removed Cortana from systemapps folder, because she is a spying pos and useless.
    I use classic menu because the new start menu is just as useless.

I didn't have any problems until now.
    I don't want Cortana or start menu fixed. Just leave everything as it is .... f**king MS.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this message or check?
    Thanks

2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    who told u to remove it? windows 10 is a service not a OS u start to disable the services it brings and other things be gain to break down...... just re install windows again and it should fix your problem.....and by the way cortana does not spy on u thats all BS.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Common sense? ;)

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Exactly! One would think people would learn by now that using homebrew programs to disable perceived spying breaks Windows. I am tired of hearing how Windows is broken, when that person actually broke it himself by attempting to disable stuff due to misconceived perceptions of spying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Yea, screw Microsoft because the OS can't discern between deliberately butchered files & files which have been corrupted due to an error and then tries to repair itself. Yea, who wants that? :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    Well in the beginning that's how we removed that stuff.
    I didn't have any problems with it until now so i didn't bother to check for other possiblities.
    And the performance gain was immense.
    And yeah f**k MS because they don't offer the option to disable their crap.
    And yes cortana spies. Call it what you want. But learning stuff about me and uploading it to MS is spying to me, especially if i don't have any control about the data.
    Wonder how MS will react to the new situation in europe. Now that it is forbidden to send personal private data of EU users to US servers.

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Cortana learns about you to better serve you, much like a human personal assistant would in a job. Communication is paramount in all walks of life, and nothing Cortana does is secret. Plus, you do have total control. You can log on to your MS account, and edit anything you want with impunity! Everyone I communicate with learns something about me, my wife, my children, my parents, my friends. This is hardly spying.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

That's simply terribly, just like google now that cortana is trying to ape.

I think it's time to watch Terminator again. :D

9. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    You don't remove Cortana and other crap just like that, it took me two weeks to learn how to clean remove all that crap. Find yourself msmg tool treat your win iso with it then use tweak.exe to clean Windows even more

10. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Can you hump Cortana as you do your wife or gf? You can't! So don't compare Cortana to some females from real life cute she will never be plus she do spy on everything even on your bank account if you do online shopping

11. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    seriously i'm not trying to offend you but how gullible and naive do you have to be, to make such a statement?

12. xycsoft

xycsoft MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    #13 xycsoft, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    @dummekuehe
    Run Services.msc
    Check "User Manager" services whether it stop running.
    If it stop running or set to "manual start",plz set it to "auto" and restart it.

13. zenithon

zenithon MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2015
    #14 zenithon, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    :eek: Let's see how to solve this issue. I am drawing this from memory and this is purely anecdotal. How you spend your time is up to you, but i ran into this once before and I believe it is solved. I am going to present a few solutions.
    First, workaround the critical error message at login by pressing {Ctrl+Alt+Delete} keys simultaneously. Open the Task Manager.
    Press File and open up a shell with administrative privileges (cmd or powershell will work). Then execute the following commands:
    Note: you can copy and paste them into command prompt or powershell with a right-click.
    Code:
    takeown /F %WINDIR%\SystemApps /R
    I'm referencing the environmental variable %WINDIR% to be safe but the default path C:\Windows\SystemApps should work for most cases.
    Use icacls to grant ALL_APPLICATION_PACKAGES Full Control:
    Code:
     icacls %WINDIR%\SystemApps /grant "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES":F /T /C 
    Optional: Make sure files or objects created in the future inherit these permissions:
    Code:
     icacls %WINDIR%\SystemApps /grant "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES":(CI)(OI)F" 
    Re-assign the owner back to TrustedInstaller (correct me if I'm wrong) by executing the following command:
    Code:
     icacls %WINDIR%\SystemApps /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" /T /C 
    Alternatively, you can do this via the explorer shell/window while browsing in Task Manager.
    Click on Browse... navigate to %WINDIR% and right-click SystemApps, click the Security tab.
    Click on Advanced then Disable inheritance and "Convert inherited permissions to explicit permissions on this object".
    Click on Change... next to the Owner descriptor near the top of the window and input Administrators or your User object and Apply.
    Click on ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES and View.
    Check the box next to Full Control and Apply or OK to exit the window.
    Re-enable inheritance and Apply. Click on Change.. and set the owner back to the original object, which I think is NT Services\TrustedInstaller
    Then restart. At this point the critical error message disappeared for me. I was simply modifying miscellaneous windows registry values at the time to experiment with difference features, like Tablet mode and various runtime component variables when this message popped up. It may have coincided with a Windows Store update a few days ago. Nevertheless, if you require further troubleshooting I'd suggest looking through the event database files with the Event Viewer or another parser to see what's going on. It might be a failed call to the RPC or some unknown interface. Either way, check it out and report here if you want a more thorough diagnostic and possible solutions as this may not be the right one for your situation.

Now I'm not a wise old person yet or a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property rights and whatnot, but I do know that in real world scenarios people act at their discretion when the flow of information and privileges to exert control over their environment is accessible or readily available.
    Information gathering/News Aggregators/Scale
    From the singular perspective, these are tools and the basic premise for those who use them generally falls under the following rationale: "because I/we can". However, our conduct reflects our character in a way that values and principles cannot be accurately characterized.
    "I get it". Let's focus on our priorities and think of the environment we're creating. We're responsible for our actions but also have a responsibility to others.
    Telemetry has its uses: it is a tool that can be weaponized or can be used to alleviate the suffering of others. Holding ourselves accountable and having a solid foundation facilitates trust. When it comes to others making the decisions that impact us, I believe the privileged class must seek to understand the ramifications and look out for each other.
    Yes, some people don't trust government. Yet the people with the most influence in politics are private investors and corporations. Some people don't trust companies because its not a real person but its legal definition states otherwise. What is the common man to do? Well, from my history lessons we've accomplished a great deal and the greatest accomplishments are rarely done alone. Therefore, we must coordinate ourselves and strengthen our ties with our local communities so that our shared interests overlap with those who have greater influence.
    In the spirit of cooperation we can accomplish a great deal by collaborating on a large scale. I believe people are concerned because rather than this issue being far removed from our personal lives, this technology and those who run it have vested interests and are so close to home. Yet an abundance of information does not make up for scarce resources. So let's prioritize. Telemetry optimizes user experience and design processes. A simple example is turnover rates or how many visitors visit a site and come back. It helps designers foresee potential issues and avoid legal issues like providing services to accommodate the visually-impaired or hearing-impaired or physically challenged among us. What I'm saying is the tool itself should not be misused, but malicious actors as well as legitimate users have uses for this information. So we simply have to regulate our actions and make sure that communication channels and transactions are done adequately securely...for insurance purposes FTFY :biggrin:

14. michaelmyers

michaelmyers MDL Member

May 28, 2015
    #15 michaelmyers, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    If you're so freaking worried about the "spying" then why are you even using Windows 10 at all? You have made it more than clear to everyone here you think it does nothing but spy on you and you seriously hate Microsoft.

YET YOU'RE STILL FREAKING USING IT

Now try to call someone else gullible and naive again when your posts have shown nothing more than pure ignorance and paranoia. You have jumped right on that "windows 10 is spying on you and sending it all to Microsoft" bandwagon, but you're still using Windows 10. One thing this proves is that you can't think for yourself. If you actually felt this strongly about it you'd be on 7, 8.1, OSX or Linux. Anything but Windows 10, but you aren't are you?

Who is gullible and naive here, bud? Where's all this data that Microsoft has? Why hasn't anyone that's made the spying accusations been able to prove they take all this data? It would easily be proven if it were true. Even if encrypted, that wouldn't change the fact they'd be grabbing gigs of data from you that would easily be seen.

PROVE IT OR SOMETHING ELSE

Here's one for you to ponder. They day they released the RTM, July 29th, the internet actually slowed down because of the massive amount of bandwidth that was being used. Imagine if they were collecting data 24/7. It would actually be that noticeable.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    :blahblah1::laie: