Crossflashing a z77m d3h to a z77x d3h

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by somerandomtechyboi, Sep 25, 2022.

1. somerandomtechyboi

somerandomtechyboi MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2021
    Stock bios has no adjustments voltage wise, if i can flash to a better bios that means i can use this thing for oc (literally only option in the garbage stock bios is dram volt and only to a meager 2v)

I do know how to force flash from the backup bios (short pin 1 and 6 on the main bios chip) so thats the safety net though i dont have the equipment to desolder (unless a bios testclip works)

Apparently all i have to do to crossflash via software is change the checksum of the bios i wanna flash so it matches the stock bios checksum to trick the stock bios into crossflashing to a diff board

Questions
    How to change bios checksum?
    If it isnt the checksum i need to change what do i need to change and how do i change said thing?

No you will not change my mind if you try to dissuade me (unless if the backup bios also gets flashed then im royally screwed if it dont work) so dont try
    I wanna mod this board just because its really the only thing available and i wanna see how far i can push my psc ddr3 (x58 only did a measly 2200), i wont buy another one thats for sure

2. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    #2 Lutschpuppe, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    You can use Intels Flash Programming Tool for dumping and programming the bios-region. No need to correct capsule header.
    Leave ME-image as is; unless the flash descriptor is unlocked, it is not possible to re-flash it.

Edit: I will not recommend crossflashing w/ bios from GA-Z77X-D3H, the boards have different hardware.
    I guess unlocking (or adding) the voltage adjustment to AMI setup is safest way; look for modding AMI setup w/ IFR Extractor and AMISetupWriter.

3. somerandomtechyboi

somerandomtechyboi MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2021
    Link to the intel flash programming tool?

Ive crossflashed z77 extreme4 to z77 oc formula and p5q to tp45xe, p45de, p45 neo, etc. And theyve worked fine aside from the neo, mostly just luck really cause even if my p5q can crossflash to that for some reason it dont wanna crossflash to the maximus ii

And when i did crossflash to a p5q deluxe bios it added the ram clock skews which the p5q bios dont have, even amibcp doesnt display it so no its not a matter of unlocking