Cumulative Updates Failing on Windows 10 v1809 with 0x80004005 error

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by neon_xeon, Jun 19, 2020.

1. neon_xeon

neon_xeon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2015
    Hello, This has been happening ever since I got a notification of a cumulative update a month ago, which was the one for May " 2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4551853)"
    which failed with the same error code, I disabled that update thinking it was faulty with MS update hider,
    (I also cleaned software distribution folder multiple times and tried installing it manually by downloading it from update catalogue but same error.)

Now on June another cumulative update "2020-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4561608)" is failing with same error of 0x80004005.

System Info :
    Windows 10 Pro v1809 Build : 17763.1217, Retail Licensed Key
    Tweaks : None, Clean install from official v1809 ISO, no antivirus other than windows defender

Other MS software tweaks : MS office VL activation using KMS_VL_ALL script(before using that I tried MS toolkit to activate MS office but that didn't work, maybe it did something that now prevents updates?)

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Try to install it manually

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Before installing updates, Your system must be cleaned, ie important places are %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download and %windir%\servicing\LCU
    Also all other things must be OK. Recommended to run sfc.exe /scannow and fix all errors if there are something to fix.
    Also all previous updates must be installed and the installations must be ended, ie computer must be restarted.
    Also is recommended to delete all old hotifix backups.
    Sometimes have been problem if KMS tools runs, if possible, disable it before installing updates. Also check Windows defender, it must be turned on and work perfectly.
    You must be in administrator privileges to install updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. neon_xeon

neon_xeon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2015
    I did all of the above, cleaned system by deleting everything from above folders and did sfc.exe /scannow in cmd, ran the updater again, it failed with the same error 0x80004005

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Try the troubleshooter from m$ :)
    Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, then select Windows Update under Get up and running, and then select Run the troubleshooter.

6. neon_xeon

neon_xeon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2015
    did that as well, says no problems detected :/

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    One very unlikely option is yet - this update is already installed, but not completely or correctly.
    In this case, you may be notified that there is an update, but the installation will fail because the installer finds that it already exists.
    The best thing you can do to keep all your stuff is to try restoring with keeping files and apps.
    If even this doesn't work, You must do new full clean install. But then would recommend to install the latest version. It works now on most cases perfectly. Only is some problems, if user wants to use outdated Nvidia Drivers.
    I'm on the latest version with all my computers from February and have not had any problems.
    Including one Lenovo Thinkpad what uses Nvidia, works perfectly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...