Curious how a reboot works in comparison to being in RE/PE?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by timesurfer, Dec 7, 2010.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 timesurfer, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    Sup, I wanted to know why certain cmds must be run at RE/PE like the cmds in repo to fix startup? And there are other cmds that can just run inside windows. I know the network service affects this somehow but not why. My question is regarding my project IR4. I know MS updates just reboot to change registry/data changes and why can't we do certain reg cmds just with reboot like MS does updates instead of going all the way into RE/PE?

Thanks for your time :worthy:

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Has to do with files/hives being in use and thus locked for write access.

RunOnce is probably the best you get...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    But where is the info the run once is stored on and what part of just rebooting will call that to run?

IR4 already puts IR4.bat in C or hidden part but has to go to RE/PE to run. I'm curious how MS updates can change things just with reboots no going to RE/PE necessary

Like with SP1 you get 5 rearms after install and didn't go into RE/PE so it's possible through my perspective this is where my question is rooted ;) And are those blocking "inside windows" services running at boot cause regardless MS SP1 changed those reg entries and upon uninstall SP1 puts back the previous rearm status

Thank you :D

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thought I'd give it one more chance to receive an answer how updates work in comparison to RE/PE and boot

Please read my last posts and share any insight

Thank you ;)

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I don't think the commands for windows update etc are ran from RE. When they were that means RE needs to boot, the pc needs to shut down again and then boot into windows, but it can boot directly into windows.

Maybe it first boots into save mode, executes the commands needed, and then loads everything else that wasn't loaded yet in save mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    The best example I have is like I said earlier with SP1 you get 5 rearms and normally if your activated with say Daz loader you get 3 upon win 7 install. So it's possible to do reg cmds without RE and just in simple reboot I just don't know how or where to store my IR4.bat and how to call it to be run. I'm not needing this to happen just it would be nice to just reboot for reg cmds to run then after reboot default key is entered

Doesn't that sound a lot better than having to go into RE as automatic as IR4 makes it into and out of RE :p...lol

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #7 Stannieman, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  9. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #9 CODYQX4, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Already automated complete thing but used dism to work with RE image and it took like 10-15 min to get back to windows which is not realistic but it did work ;)

Also note that we wouldn't want it to work upon every boot like IORRT cause when you delete key upon start it deletes win 7 key thus having to enter default key something we don't want user to have to wait for and to have to look at non-genuine msg in lower right corner

Note: IR4 upon boot into windows enters default key automatically already

I was thinking more like IR4 3.1 puts the created bat file in a place and a cmd to run that is set into boot bcd or soemthing then IR4.bat runs then back into windows to watch key get installed and msg disspear just like now except without RE of course

Am I missing what you are saying?

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #12 timesurfer, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Cmds in question:

Code:
    reg load HKLM\MY_SYSTEM "%~dp0Windows\System32\config\system"
    reg delete HKLM\MY_SYSTEM\WPA /f
    reg unload HKLM\MY_SYSTEM
    Normally run at RE that reset win 7/R2 OS to 4 rearms 30 days hence 150 days use (180 day use with SP1 RC)

Maybe it isn't possible but I had vision to just install/reboot auto install default win 7 key done...lol