currupt or missing file

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rgb360, Mar 2, 2011.

1. rgb360

rgb360 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    #1 rgb360, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    my hp laptop runs vista basic an wont boot up...
    Im getting a start up screen that is, start windows normaly, safe mode, safe mode with networkin, safemode with command prompt an last known configuration...
    press any of them and I get>windows could not start becouse the following file is missing or currupt:
    \windows\system\config\system

I have tried to load every ooperating sys I have on disk, an nothing will take,
    to note I have tried:
    downloading the PE off the torrent - burned it loaded it and no go
    a driver recovey disk - no go
    a system recovrey disk for vista (but from this laptop) no go
    tried loading a copy of XP, a copy of windows 7 ultumit 32, n 64 bit, no go...
    regardless of what I put in the drive bay it wont read them to reinstall
    it will read the oem vista recovery disk but get the promt - this disk wont work...

every attemt above, results in the same start up screen out come.
    also the f1 key does work an have run all the promts but still the same result.

i am trying to a recover so I can reinstall vista or windows 7
    but I cant get past the missing or currupt:
    \windows\system\config\system

is there another file I can download to start the beeoch

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
  3. rgb360

rgb360 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    I have no vista dvd to boot from - the one I do have is from another computer and loads/reads but I get the prompt this disk will not work for this computer... otherwise i would - the ms fix tool is the PE (pre installation) disk, I have downloaded it an it also does not load/read.

thank your for your reply, but still no solution found.
    any other ideas ?

4. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    1. Before the problem occurs, have u changed ur bios configuration like changing type of hdd (sata/ide)? If yes try to restore it back.
    2. If u used loader, then somehow it make ur bootsector corrupt, u can use this step (it's official from daz loader readme.txt, so I just copy paste it).
    * Boot up the PC from your Windows installation disk
    * Select the "Repair your computer" option
    * Select "Command Prompt"
    * Input "bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS /force" (without quotes)
    * Restart the PC

Note: If the above doesn't fix your boot issue then use the command "bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL /force" instead. Just make sure you remove all USB flash drives before you use the command.

Hope it help!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rgb360

rgb360 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    everything is oem on the laptop, I have no factory ie recovery or startup disk when the laptop starts up it goes strieght to the
    defaut screen "start windows normally, last known config, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command promt, select any of those... an I get "windows could not start because the fallowing file is missing or currupt" \windows\system32\config\system"
    I can not get to dos, ie cammand prompt. I can not get passed this screen. I can get to f1 and f10.
    btw: I am using a borrowed laptop to work from as I try to find a solution.

if there is any file I can download burn an load I am searching. I have a copy of windows 7 32, 64 bit off this site but the lp wont red from them. I am looking for a start up disk or boot anything disk that will take me to a command promot or alow me to load any os.

6. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If you are comfortable to do it, I would suggest opening up your laptop and removing the hdd and dvd drive. Reboot the laptop to POST screen and then power off. Reconnet the hdd and dvd. Boot from the Windows 7 installation disc. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

8. rgb360

rgb360 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    "NOTE : U havent answer my first question, have u changed bios configuration before the problem began???? "

no hadent made any changes to the bios, - i will try the your recomendation if I can, Thank you again or your input.

as for removing and replaceing I was thinking something along those lines, I tried to hook it up like a external hard drive to to a reformate and
    but my laptop does not see the drive..... currently Im downloading 4.7 gig copy of vista only 17 hours to go lol in the mean time I will try
    the hiernsboot file.
    thank you for your suggestion....

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    You need to boot your laptop with NO drives connected at all. Once you reach the POST screen power off. Then connect you internal hard drive and dvd drive and reboot with whatever disc you choose.. It sounds to me that your drives are not being detected properly. Following the steps ive outlined will force your drives to be detected again. This i think will be your solution.

10. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system\config\system"

System is basically the registry hive of the same name. When you open the Registry Editor -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, there's a hive called SYSTEM, and it either went corrupt, or the HDD is having a problem.

Unfortunately, unlike Windows XP, Windows Vista does not have a C:\WINDOWS\repair directory, so you'll need a Windows Vista DVD.

After booting from the Vista DVD and selecting "Repair My Computer", you should try the following:
    1. Select Command Prompt, type "chkdsk /r" (w/o quotation marks) and hit Enter. This will thoroughly check your HDD for errors and attempt to fix them.
    2. Select System Restore, and restore your system to a point when everything worked.
    3. Select Command Prompt, type "sfc /scannow" (w/o quotation marks) and hit Enter. The System File Check tool will compare system files between the DVD and the installed Windows, and replace any system files which "fail" the comparison.

11. t-roy

t-roy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2010
    Try taking a stick of ram out. Try booting it up, if it doesn't work, try the other stick. I've had them corrupt before.

12. spedia

spedia MDL Senior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #12 spedia, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    I'd advise you to try to back up all your data (if they are not encrypted) and do a totally fresh installation. Obviously something has been badly hosed.

To backup: Extract the HD and put it in a desktop Windows Vista system as a secondary drive