Cursor glitch

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xplay, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    #1 Xplay, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    I did a clean install of windows 7 64bit and just notice when ever I move over a link the cursor would flicker about 3 times it size and turn a yellowish color all in a split second and go back to normal. It wont stay like that but only happens when the cursor is going over a link. Ive reinstalled windows, updated my bios, and have all the recent drivers for my hardware and did a scannow test and it still does this. Any one else had this problem or know what can cause this? I have also installed win7 on a different hard drive on the same computer to see if it still has the problem and its still there. So It cant be the hardrive and i doubt its the windows disk because i also installed the same disk to my laptop and the problem doesn't exist there. Right now Im running win7 and win xp on the same computer in two separate hardrives and the problem is only in win7. Its just really annoying. I'm wondering now if its my video card causing this as it is outdated. Its a GeForce 7800 GT. I never had any problems with it before but was wondering if anyone can help me trouble shoot the problem. Any advise or tips?
    Here are my specs.
    Asus a8n deluxe motherboard
    Patriot 2GB PC 3200
    GeForce 7800 Gt
    500gb Hardrive

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Do you have another mouse you can test?

What browser are you using that this happens in?

Have you tried a different browser?

I don't think it is the video card doing this. I have a integrated geforce 6150 LE integrated and it works fine.

3. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yea I tried a different mouse , same thing .It happens in both firefox and internet explorer. Its not the browser because it happens in applications too such as aim and photoshop that I noticed. When I move around the cursor on the desktop or to go through folders nothing happens. It only happens when the cursor goes over a link select and the arrow changes the hand cursor. It flickers slightly bigger and yellow then back to normal.

4. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Bump, anyone else have an idea what might cause this?

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    What apps have you installed lately ?
    Probably some application interfering here..

6. oxyblue80

oxyblue80 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    have u tried playin around with the mouse cursor settings and applying the standard themes ie: windows aero or windows black manually to see if that changes anything? and also, which one is applied right now?

7. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yes, I tried every theme. I also tried just switching the link select cursor to a regular arrow cursor and other random ones since the link select is the only time the glitch happens and it does the same thing to what ever I change it to. It sucks, window 7 works flawlessly except for this annoying glitch.

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    What applications did you install lately ?

9. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    This happened right after a fresh install of win 7. I know this because I reinstalled windows again thinking it might fix the problem and before I installed any application I opened internet explorer to find any link to go over and it would glitch right away. I tried using 32 and 64 bit windows, both with glitches.I don't understand why it only happens when I go over a link and still wondering if it has something to do with my video card. I tried using the regular windows video driver and the latest nvidia driver and still same glitch so I don't know what gives.

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    So it's realted to you pc hardware if it reoccurs every time.

What brand of mouse do you have? Possability of extra software installing with it's drivers ? Did they install automaticly when installing win7 ?

I'd say start looking in that direction. Brand of mouse and kind of drivers you or win7 have installed ...

11. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I have a razer copperhead. I had to go to the main site for the driver but before and after installing the driver I have the same problem. Even tried using a dynex mouse I had laying around same thing... I really appreciate you guys helping me troubleshoot this problem btw . I just don't know what else it could be causing this. This glitch is such a mystery.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Can't find any issues related to the copperhead mouse, so gonna abandon that option.

I'm further looking into it.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Did you install the proper wddm drivers for your graphics card ?

Also look in task manager and see if any process is taking up a lot of processor time.

Do the following please:
    post a screen of processes tab in taskmanager.
    Then boot in safe mode with network option, and see if the issue is still present.
    That way we can determine if a service or process loaded is causing it.
    Now post a screen of the same tab in safe mode.

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Oh, and one more thing :

make sure you have the latest flash player installed for FF or IE.
    Grab it from the web and install it if you haven't allready.

15. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Graphics driver?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Ok.

First uninstall cyberdvd. There are certain issues regarding accellerators, like
    Send with Live Mail, Map with Bing, Search movie with IMDB and Translate with Bing. No matter if u actually use them. They are there.

So uninstall the application and reboot. See if the problem still exists.

If it's not resolved, uninstall java runtime, reboot, and check again.

My guts says it's one of these two.

Let me know the result.

Gen

17. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    The glitch was happening before I installed both of those and the rest of my applications and programs so I don't think they are the cause. I uninstalled both anyway and rebooted and still get the glitch. This glitch started right from the get go off a fresh install of windows btw, before any drivers or programs where installed.