Custom Policies Set

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    #1 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. z110110

z110110 MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Thank you. Great. That's what I like.

3. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #3 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Sounds nice! I just have 1 question: are those custom policies translated to all foreign languages? If not, can we edit them and translate? I could translate to polish language.

5. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #5 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 18, 2018
    (OP)
    Hi, funny thing, I noticed the malware tool registry policy wasn't in a GPO with the LTSC 2019 Essentials you shared, so thanks for that one! ;)

It's not translated, while registry address/settings are "international", gpo lists and comments aren't, and that's why it is separated as
    .ADMX (policy settings/registry addresses) and
    .ADML which is found under C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\language name (example en-US)
    I just now realize L letter must be for Languages...:rolleyes:
    I made my own names and comment and might not be perfect either, it's a quite long task to get it nice (and displaying nicely).
    If you want to translate in your language, just edit .ADML with notepad++

6. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #7 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 18, 2018
    (OP)
    Thanks, I will.
    Actually, I still have about 20 to add. all of them are "preferences" (cf my 'note' in OP), and I already have them in my (soon shared) OptimizeOnline.reg
    But before sharing this .reg I want to put the simple ones (with 0/1 values) in CustomPoliciesSet: because .reg will apply (or revert) all preference at once, while GPO would be totally customizable one by one.

If you notice policies (=not preferences/tweaks) missing, please feel free to provide.

I think if we ever do that, it's preferable I do 2 different admx/adml, one for real policies and one for preferences (but registry tweaks are endless) + also add a .reg to "reset" preferences key values in case (cf 'Note' in OP).

7. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #8 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    (OP)
  8. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #9 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    (OP)
  9. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #10 Thomas Dubreuil, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    (OP)
    Doing that, I also made a similar "Personalization project", to :

-Debloat the context menu :
    Remove 3Dprint, 3D edit, TXTprint
    Hide other context menu items (not removing = renaming key with ? at start) like Library Location, Share, Offline files, Playto, Workfolders.

-Add few other customizations:
    Hash for files, msi extract, DesktopBackground context menu: control panel, windows update, Windows Security, Settings, Snipping Tool, Restart Explorer (now and on demand)
    Nsudo and custom Notepad++ context menus, etc. just check it out...You can apply everything with one master .reg, or any ot them separately.

And, same thing as above project, the "Restore" .reg file(s) to go back to where you were before, as well as a clear comment/explanation.

24-10-2018 : Added 'Add/Remove exclusion in Windows Defender' to context menu.
    25-10-2018 : Added batch script.
    29-10-2018 : Added some Settings, removed from Preferences Project.
    Added some Identation/Tab for even more readability.
    08-12-2018 : Project rework, go to this post

10. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Thank you my friend for this useful post.
    You seem to have a great knowledge on the subjet.

i suppose that you decided to add all these settings to make win10 lighter either during use or during the boot and to make it more secure at the same time.

11. donkeymilk

donkeymilk MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2013
  12. Reducer

Reducer MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2014
    First of all, thanks for this TD. I'm still using W7, but what you're offering here seems like the perfect entry point to put things under control, a state of the art compilation of tested tweaks, with suggested values from an experienced and privacy concerned user. However, I'm a bit confused about how to "process" your multiple archives: CustomPoliciesSet (post #1), ParsedPolicies (post #1), Preferences Project (post #9) and Personalize Project (post #10).
    1. Does ParsedPolicies include target reg addresses in CustomPoliciesSet or both files complement each other?
    2. Are Preferences Project a complete reg/cmd translation of the above 2 or is dealing with additional tweaks not covered by those?
    3. Are the tweaks in Personalize Project a sample application of tweaks in Preferences Project or it's offering even additional tweaks?

13. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    The start idea was to put missing policies registry addresses in gpedit, to be able to control via gpedit without 3rd party apps.

Then came the idea to add more tweaks outside policy registry addresses, again to be able to control them from inside gpedit.
    The reason behind this is that many users will apply .reg tweaks without knowing why, and also don't remember what they did and hence how to reverse if the changes made are finally inadequates.

But that's a huge work...I started listing all tweaks from many scripts and websites, filtering obsoletes and unneeded ones, trying to make it comprehensive adding comment for each one.
    Soon realized there were tweaks that were more "performances" related and others more related to personal preferences/customizations, so I separated in 2 lists: Optimize/Personalize.

I think "personalize" tweaks wont be added to custom policy (it would take monthes), and at the moment the lists are still a bit "messy": maybe some tweaks in "optimize" should be in "customize".

Anyway, that was the idea...and since it takes ages, I don't know if I will ever add anything to the custom policy set, so I decided to share the .reg lists in between, so that work could help others too.

To answer shortly to your question... :D
    Optimize is more oriented towards performances (and getting rids of ads)
    Personalize is for context menu and control panel customization etc.

1. "parsed policies" are my personal gpo settings (.pol), and includes my tweaks from custom policy set of course.
    CustomPoliciesSet are policy definitions (admx/adml),and as stated in op have to be added to windows\policy definitions.
    So, both complement each others, but note that personal settings is a matter of taste/use, custom policy set is the "master" project (while parsed policy are simply my personal gpedit settings, to use like that or as a reference)

I will try to add more tweaks to it (read my reply just above), so started to list the tweaks and to think about what to apply, Since it will take a bit long I decided to share the listed tweaks in between (preference/optimize and personalize/customize are the lists)

2. Preferences are tweaks I started to list to be later included in custom policies set, to be able to enable/disable the tweaks from inside gpedit.
    There are 3 paragraphs inside if you noticed,
    I Preferences already in gpo : These are settings (mostly those I use) already present in gpedit, but not stored in a policy key.
    II Preferences added to custom policy set : These are settings that are not in gpedit by default, and that would be present/visible in gpedit, once you will have imported the admx/adml from custom policies set.
    III Preferences to add to custom policy set : These are settings I plan to add to custom policy set, so it can be controled through gpedit.

So, only paragraph III are "additional tweaks".
    II is here because not everyone will use the custom policy set.
    I can be done by gpedit but these are not True Policies (=preferences), so I dit put here for the "registry tatooing effect" that can be avoided with a script (I'm still on it, for that one, particularly the restore is needed: to wipe user's preferences)
    All in all, I+ II+III can be used to "optimize" (didn't find a better word) your system without using custom policies and gpedit.

3.Personalize are additional tweaks that didn't make it to the Preferences, because they are more oriented towards "customizations" than performances, and would be more a matter of taste.
    Some are nice and useful (at least for me), like hash context menu, also imho my Notepad++ custom context menu is way better than having "edit with notepad" on every file (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\* ),
    that's why I shared also that one, so people can benefit from my work.

Hope it's a bit more clear :)

14. Reducer

Reducer MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks TD. I'm not really interested in using gpedit if I can compile well commented .reg/.cmd files to offline-apply to my image/apply at setupcomplete.cmd, like I currently do to my W7 images. So I understand that Preferences Project (post #9) allows to achieve your ParsedPolicies+CustomPolicySet (post #1) via reg import/cmd instead of gpedit. Additionally, Personalize Project (post #10) is to be considered for some more useful tweaks.

15. z110110

z110110 MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #16 z110110, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    First of all, I agree with your optimization.

However, the following problems were identified:

Reg.exe add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "Start_TrackProgs" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    It should be "1"..
    This setting affects the "start to run" Previous records

Thank you. This is my blog:
    amwin.org

16. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    You seem like someone who can come up with a solid solution for ShellExperienceHost not loading the start menu when AppX service is disabled. It loads a "greyed-out" version of the start menu, from which nothing can be selected. The only way to resolve it or load the functional version of the start menu is either by trying again or using "TaskKill /IM ShellExperienceHost.exe /F" . Thing is, if I place the "TaskKill /IM ShellExperienceHost.exe /F" as a startup shortcut or as a startup task, it never works, forcing me to manually execute it after each PC restart...

17. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    Sure, easy!
    Start menu IS an appx.
    wasn't that hard... :D

ps am more into gpo tweaking/reversable optimization than butchering/compromise, I'm not a bsod expert, sorry...

18. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #19 Thomas Dubreuil, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    (OP)
  19. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    #20 Thomas Dubreuil, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    (OP)