Custom windows 7 install dvd question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lilcuda, May 23, 2010.

1. lilcuda

lilcuda MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Hi , Ive been going over the threads for a unattended install for windows 7 and have a couple of questions .

I have copies of x86 OEM and a Dell x64 install discs , I have a modded bios with Gigabyte slic and have matching cert . Can I copy the folders from the install discs to the hard drive and than place the cert into sources\$oem$\$$\system32\oem for a activated install and will the serial just be taken from the original dvd file or will I need to add one later .

In the case of the Dell disc can I just rename my Gigabyte cert to match the original and replace it ? .

I can than build the image with imgburn and this will match my motherboard ? . Thanks .

2. lilcuda

lilcuda MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Having gone through the threads some more I realize the answer lays in the oem folders project for those trying to do something similar.

I have successfully modded my dell x64 install disc as a Gigabyte version , I didnt want to just copy the oem folder into my files as I wasnt sure of the Dell scripts so I compared all the files for the Gigabyte Ultimate oem with the Dell and modded where appropriate checking the cmd scripts so everything would install without hanging or going amiss .

I also changed my ei.cfg to Ultimate and added some gigabyte wallpapers to the dell wallpapers folder , had to delete a couple of dell wallpapers to keep the iso to single layer and all went smoothly from there installed and activated .

Thanks to those who have provided the oem folders , great project :).

3. davidmorgen19

davidmorgen19 MDL Novice

May 26, 2010
    Before replacing your BIOS with Gigabyte you should Deactivate you windows and then you replace your BIOS and then active your Windows. that is actual process but you did not Deactivate you windows so connect to Microsoft and give new activation code.

4. lilcuda

lilcuda MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    I flashed the motherboard and made the windows 7 discs for this pc so was a fresh install :).