Custom XP InstallCD DeskTop Shortcut or Program

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by byghtn3, Feb 3, 2010.

1. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hello All,

I am finishing up on creating a custom install XP CD and was wanting the install CD to put an icon or a program on the desktop for the new user to run.

Is there a simple method to put it on the CD and add a line or 2 to something like the winnt.sif or something similar?

Thanks,
    Byghtn3

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    Hi Urie,
    Thanks for the reply.

That answer seems pretty complicated. Maybe my need is a little simpler and maybe I should have described it more clearly.

My Custom CD currently installs all of the basic MB drivers. But the drivers have installers that install additional features as well, I want to put the driver installers on the desktop so the user can manually run the driver installers to get ALL of the features of the driver later after windows is up and running.

Also I want to install a web shortcut to WGA, to show Genuine.

As a last resort I could just put the drivers in an unused folder and have owner just search the disk.

Any additional advice??

Thanks
    Byghtn

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    one way if you can use innosetup make an installer you can add shortcuts with that.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #5 911medic, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Now with that out of the way..:cool:

I do not use the $OEM$ method at all.. I generally pack my pictures, wallpapers, music, and other installs in .SFX silent installs and run from Svcpack..The svcpack.inf is easy to alter and this method is quick and easy..no additional .sif entries or batch files to fail....

To put a folder on the desktop, you could use winrar and make an SFX self extracting archive and have it extract to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\desktop

To extract tot he wallpaper dir, have the SFX extract to %SystemRoot%\Web\Wallpaper

Easierhuh..just put the silent SFX in the Svcpack folder and add the entries to the svcpack.inf..done....

A sample of the svcpack.inf is:

You just use makecab as >Makecab SVCPACK.INF from command prompt, and insert it into the i386 directory..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    #7 byghtn3, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    (OP)
    911 Medic
    Thanks for the reply.
    That reply was certainly more complicated and probably took longer to formulate, than to solve my problem, and has brought more questions.

I took your advice with the $OEM$ folder and it has worked as well as I had wanted, but now you have brought to my attention the HotFixes, Windows UPDates & KB's and additional programs.

It looks as if windows UPDates & KB's "JUST GO IN" if they are listed and saved in i386\svcpack, is that right?

But how about the programs? Especially programs that require serial numbers? You are showing NERO & WINRAR as well as others, how do you get the serials integrated. . . . I have the same question if I had selected [GUIRUNONCE]

I was looking at the MSFN Unattended site & was wondering if there was a listing of all of the options available to use in the unattended setup. I know some more things I want to do, but do not know how to ask the WINNT.SIF to do them, or what the answers are to be such as "OemSkipWelcome" I dont know where more of these commands are listed, and what the answers may be? "yes" "no" "1" "0" "x" "345"?

Thanks again
    Byghtn

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #9 911medic, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    911medic just out of interest did you use Nero Custom Applications Builder (NCAB) v2.11 -- vcBlackBox script to do your Nero_6.1.15 i got mines down to 25MB with nerovision included still best vesion of nero available but has problems with vista onwards :(

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes, for the install I use now..I have had sporadic luck with silent switches and serial script..NCAB is the poop...:biggrin:

I do not care for the newer nero, cdburnerxp is just as good for any burns you may need, and poweriso for iso making..

Nero is simply overrated...:cool:

I never used Vista, and use W7 on my laptops..my workstation is dual boot, but rarely sees windows 7..too much incompatibility with my favorite apps..I still appreciate the XP compatibility/stability..

12. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks for all of the advice 911 Medic and Urie.

Is there an easy way to copy & save this thread so I don't loose it. I guess I could copy each post and save in word, but maybe there is a better way?

Thanks,
    Byghtn

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    depends on your browser..probably file->save web page as-> whatever you want the page to be....

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Nero Yes very overrated and bloated, i do still use it ocasionally but just the nero micro versions basicly just the burning engine.
    Well to be honest more for the wife coz she is used to it if she is using any of my machines instead of her own. ii normally use UltraIso and have used cdburnerxp it is quite good considering it size.

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  16. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    #16 byghtn3, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    (OP)
    911Medic---

In Post #6, you show the sample "SVCPACK.INF",
    I am wondering 2 things,

1. Where do the actual files go for the KB's or Programs I want to install?

2. Where to get the KB's? Are they to be gotten 1by1 from MS? Search for KB?????? & download just 1? Are they currently available on my current & updated system?
    ..I know how to get something from the Windows Update in the folder "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install", 1by1, but is there a way to get them 20-50 at a time?

3. Do they install in numerical order? Do they have an order that is automatically calculated by the installer?

Thanks,
    byghtn3

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Use the update packs from RyanVM and his tool to add all the updates, this is by far the easiest way...the updates are in the SVCPACK folder in the i386 when finished. you can add the silent installs there and add them to the svcpack.inf

18. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks 911,

I'll be looking into this over the weekend

Byghtn3

19. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009

Thanks for your continued advice,

I looked at the RYANVM site and it appears to be 1 year+ behind in updates, How do I go about getting all of the updates? 1by1 from MS by searching for KB??????, Are they already here on my computer in a download folder? Make a NEW install of XP and download from WINDOWS UPDATE 1by1?---I know can get Security Essentials, IE8 and WINDOWS DEFENDER this way, as well as net framework 1.1, 2.0, & 3.5 and others 1by1.

Then there is the install order because some updates - update previous updates and are not standalone's.

Any better advice or direction I could persue?

Thanks,
    Byghtn3

20. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #20 911medic, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010