Customizing Windows 10 before and after install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by adrian2055, Oct 14, 2016.

1. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    After many painful test runs to make windows 7 work on my new laptop (including paying $185 for a pro license) I may be forced to admit defeat and.....use win 10 (God help me!). I need to know a few things about this operating system before I re-install it (if I have to).

My laptop came with windows 10 home. Can I update to windows 10 Pro and OEM activate it w/o using patchers/activators/KMS...etc?

I really hate the way the new OS looks/feels. I need a desktop OS, not a smartphone OS. I would like to make the OS look more like windows vista or 7 if possible. I already purchased StartIsBack for a old school start menu. Are there themes or programs that alter the way this looks? I would like to have these changes implemented during install if possible.

For some strange reason I lose drag and drop within the windows navigation menu after making any changes in windows 10. Is there a fix for this?

The apps.....they gotta go. I have all my programs that I need for audio/video editing and gaming. I have no reason for these useless apps. Is there a way to remove all the apps before installation.

I noticed that windows 10 automatically replaces drivers from the manufacturers with the windows update drivers. This causes my drivers to crash randomly (especially nvidia and realtek). Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

2. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...