DaemonTools or similar for W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AnarethoS, Aug 2, 2009.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone!

I am thinking about replacing my Vista installation by a W7 installation on my second laptop (EEE 900HA). Currently, It is dual boot.

What currently prevent me to do this is that Daemon Tools doesn't work well on W7 (lot of compatibility error, etc.). Since this laptop doen't have a CD/DVD drive, I use DaemonTools to mount ISO/CCD/MDS file for my game (with and without emulation).

Is there any other software that do the same things that work weel under Windows 7?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dune

dune MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 dune, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Virtual Clone Drive (Freeware). Works lika a charm without emulation. I dont think it has emulation feature.

3. cbutters

cbutters MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    +1 for virtual clonedrive, works great especially for handling multiple windows 7 isos ;D

4. Cim

Cim MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    I use the latest Daemon tools in W7 and have had zero issues. Are you sure your using the latest version of it (they added some W7 support with the latest)?

5. tcdr

tcdr MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    I thought MagicISO/MagicDisc is the only one that supports UIF (since it's their own format :-\)... plus, DaemonTools is full of advertising these days.

6. leadboots5

leadboots5 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    DaemonTools has worked fine for like a month(complete generality) on W7.

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Daemon Tools support only beta of W7. While installing, windows tell me a lot of error message about compatibility issue.

it works, if I complete the installation, but I don't like that.

I tried Alcohol 52% but it doesn't work.

Virtual Clone drive do not seem to support MDS image. all my game has been made in this format with Alcohol 120%, since they ara 1:1 image with all copy protection crap inside.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    #11 EclipseSin, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    I don't use Daemon Tools anyways. And now, MagicDisc isn't the only one that supports UIF mounting/format...

PowerISO supports: .iso, .daa, .cue/.bin, .mdf/.mds, .ashdisc, .bwi/.b5i, .lcd, .img, .cdi, .cif, .p01, .pdi, .nrg, .ncd, .pxi, .gi, .vcd, .fcd, .c2d, .dmg, .bif, and .uif.

And I use this for mounting game images. Never had a problem with anything like SafeDISC or w/e.

9. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Daemon Tools didn't work on the Win 7 Beta, but I thought there weren't any problems anymore installed on the RC and onwards. But give VirtualCloneDrive a try, I like it! :D

10. tcdr

tcdr MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    That's good to know. I'll stick with MagicDisc though, since it's completely free. Thanks for the info!

11. jacobtf

jacobtf MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Daemon Tools - latest version - works well on both the RC and the RTM of Windows 7. I've used it on loads of disc images and never had any problems.

Yes, it reports an error when installed, but it works fine.

12. mason092

mason092 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I have been using VirtualCloneDrive.

13. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    click on don't show this message again and click run... the newest dT works perfectly on win7rtm..

14. Collo

Collo MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I don't have extensive knowledge of image type files, but all the MDS files I've seen have been coupled with their respective MDF files, and MDF files can be opened with Virtual Clone Drive.

15. miguelidanez

miguelidanez MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
  16. mirkocosta

mirkocosta MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    MagicDisk absolutely. Install almost instantly, its free and not bloated.

17. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Same here.Works 5-by-5 :)