Damaged TrueCrypt 7 loader

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LuckyGuy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. LuckyGuy

LuckyGuy MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    Hi,

I didn't find an appropriate section to post this, so I hope this topic won't be deleted. I've got a laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I've encrypted the whole hard drive using TrueCrypt 7.0. Today I tried to create a new partition to store my data. I used the latest version of Acronis Disk Director 11 Home. But, unfortunately, the process failed and now I'm left with the TrueCrypt Boot Loader that is damaged. It says "Loader damaged! Use Rescue Disk: Repair Options > Restore TrueCrypt Boot Loader". There are 2 problems.
    1) I don't have a Rescue Disk.
    2) My laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive.
    However, BIOS enables me to boot from a USB flash drive and USB external HDD. I'm totally desperate and I want to know if there's any chance of repairing the TrueCrypt Boot Loader, so I can boot Windows 7 and continue working.

Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue. Thanks in advance.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LuckyGuy

LuckyGuy MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    Thanks Daz, I'll try it and let you know if it worked. Let's hope that .iso isn't unique to the system.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't think it is after some of the things I've just read so best of luck to you :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LuckyGuy

LuckyGuy MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    I was able to fix the TrueCrypt Boot Loader, but Windows is probably corrupted. It won't start. I'll have to reinstall Windows. Anyway, thanks for your help.

6. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Next time, take the backup of the recovery .iso file that TrueCrypt tells you to do, it can be started from a USB stick also. And don't use Acronis on a encrypted drive. It's mess up the system (as you have seen). When you install Windows 7 now, make a data partition and a OS partition, and then choose if you want to encrypt the whole disk or only the OS partition with TrueCrypt 7 after the Win7 installation.

7. LuckyGuy

LuckyGuy MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    myhken: I made a really stupid mistake, I'm a smarter guy now. For now I'm installing Ubuntu and at the weekend I'm going to install Windows 7. Thanks for your advice.

8. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #8 kubato, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Each time you use TrueCrypt you MUST make a backup for every "new" install or your screwed when you need to recover your data. It makes a special encrypted key for every install so a backup will only work on the machine it was made for. I know you learned this the hard way.