data transfer question

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by potjevleesch, Apr 3, 2014.

1. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    I have an old HP laptop with W8.1 x64 which I have to replace. How can I transfer data to my new Asus (W8.1 x64 too) which has a very different hardware layout ?
    I thought of retrieving the old "file history" on to the new rig but I'm afraid it would copy files that would make it unstable to to the hardware differences.
    Any better idea ?

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Are you asking about transferring Windows and programs to the new computer? Or are you asking about transferring documents, photos, music, etc., to the new computer?

3. potjevleesch

Aug 7, 2010
    no only the users\my name\... directory

4. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Your profile directory can be copied/moved to the new machine just fine. That has no drivers or anything like that, it usually has data from stuff you installed though (like games/ apps and so on).

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's correct! But the user still have to install quite some apps to get everything working correctly. In the "Users" folder under the [user] is an hidden folder called AppData and on the C Drive is an hidden folder called ProgramData which both holding some important infos, include personal data. Copy those to an secure location on you new machine too, yoiu may will need some of that containing data.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. potjevleesch

Aug 7, 2010
    thank you all, I'm all set