Data Usage?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by jetjock, Jan 30, 2014.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Does updating apps on a Galaxy 3 via WiFi use data?

My wife's phone is showing over 50 GB of data usage by "Google Play Downloads" and she's only 10 days into her data plan month. All she has used her phone for is checking a couple weather apps once or twice a day and auto-updating apps via WiFi. She also may use the "phone" a few times a week. I have turned off auto-updating of apps for now as I can't really see why they need to be updated so often. Is there a problem with not updating but maybe once a month?

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    If you are updating apps using WiFi there's no usage of mobile data....so there should not be any problem :cool:

just to be sure,u can try turning off mobile data from your phone & then update the apps using WiFi

3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #3 tonto11, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    In my experience mobiles will default to use the Telco service for everything rather than the wifi.
    even if it's available, thus maximizing Telco revenue. (they are in cahoots you know)
    My solution is to turn off data from the Telco service thus permitting only cel and txt.
    This forces the use of wifi for everything else.
    and if you really must have data when away from wifi, you can turn it back on temporarily.

...T

4. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    As much as I hate my Android 4.1 phone. It automatically deactivates the cellular data when in range of a secure Wifi. It does not deactivate for an open Wifi/ hotspot tho.

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I can't seem to find anyplace on my phone (same as wife's) to turn off Telco data. Where is that setting?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. matt167

Oct 8, 2013
    Swipe down on the main screen. Should be a bar across the top that you can turn data off with. It's also where you access airplane mode and such..

7. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #7 jetjock, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    (OP)
    I have icons there for Wi-Fi, GPS, Sound, Screen Rotation, Bluetooth, Blocking mode, Power Saving, Multi Window, Screen Mirroring, S Beam, NFC, Hands-free mode, Smart stay, Sync & Airplane mode but nothing for "Data".

After posting this I remembered that under the system settings there was "Data Usage". I looked there and found a check mark for "Mobile Data". Is that what you mean?

8. matt167

Oct 8, 2013
    Nope on my cell which uses a generic version of Android 4.1 ( it's not a custom version like some of the phone makers use ). Swipe down and it's one of the buttons that can be turned off.. I don't know where it could be on your phone

9. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Or just check your data usage on your account and see what's being used. Let's face it, if you already had 50gb of mobile data your bill is screwed.

If your account data usage is minimal then you know it's using wifi and not cell data.

Mobile Data is probably the option you want, but you should have started this thread with "my wifes phone is a XXX how do i turn off mobile data?"

10. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    You are right. But, if I were that smart I probably wouldn't have to be here asking questions! :biggrin: