Daz Loader and Truecrypt hidden OS question.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Iwasnot, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Iwasnot

Iwasnot MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    The newest version of Daz loader states it works with Truecrypt hidden partitions. I can't get it to work with a Truecrypt hidden system - it makes the hidden system unbootable. I've tried installing the loader before the hidden system is created and after, with "preserve boot code" on and off. No luck. The only thing that has worked is the remove WAT program. This will keep the hidden system in tact, and I can use the Daz loader on the decoy system. I assume the Daz loader must place some files in the same area used by Truecrypt and they are becoming corrupted during Truecrypt's system cloning and wiping process.

Has anyone got the Daz loader to work with a TrueCrypt *HIDDEN* Windows7 OS ( I know it works on non-hidden encrypted systems)? Am I missing something in the settings?

2. Iwasnot

Iwasnot MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    Hmm. Nothing.

Anyone unfamiliar with how Truecrypt creates a hidden operating system:
    You have the hard drive where your OS will be partitioned into 2. The primary partition will host the decoy system, and the partition right behind will host a hidden OS in a hidden encrypted volume. In the procedure, the system on the primary partition is cloned to the second partition and is hidden in an encrypted volume. Then, that system that was just cloned is wiped to remove any evidence it was cloned by TrueCrypt. After, a new OS is installed on the primary partition and that partition is also encrypted. This is the decoy system and the one most used and used to connect to the net. As a matter of course, the hidden system should never connect to the network, otherwise its existence could be proven.

That part is important because I don't need a solution that will continue to update, just a solution that wont have the OS degrading in performance after the trial period.

Would it be possible to install the OS, update it as much as possible to this date, use a remove WAT tool, and make it the hidden system never to connect to a network again?

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The loader does work with TrueCrypt, but it get's messy when it comes to hidden partitions. Honestly you'd be better off applying a BIOS mod in your case as it'd give you the cleanest activation method for your setup.

I recommend that you don't use RemoveWAT as it's a quick way to make a mess of your system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Iwasnot

Iwasnot MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    But is disabling the NIC going to stop nag screens when the trial days run out?

5. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    My question is: is truecrypt an absolute Necessity?

Especially since you dont want to follow other members suggestions?

6. Iwasnot

Iwasnot MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks to both. I'm going to look into both of those solutions.

7. Iwasnot

Iwasnot MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    Um, where did you get the idea I don't want to follow suggestions?