Daz Windows Loader and upgrading to a newer version?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FattysGoneWild, Jul 19, 2010.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Do the majority of you upgrade to each new version? Or do you have a attitude if its not broke don't fix it? Is there really a benefit to upgrading if every thing is running fine and you have no issues using a previous version? :confused:

2. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I'm usually upgrading to every new version, but that's mainly because I like having the latest of everything.

I believe most of the updates to the Daz loader is designed to improve compatibility with as many systems as possible, and in that regard, if it works it's not really any reason to upgrade (unless of course some other nice feature has been implemented by Daz).

;)

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    1.7.7 is the solid build. All other builds were to help other problems that were non WAT related but unique configuration or hardware related

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    Actually 1.7.3 to 1.7.9 had some major issues, on some systems causing a failure to boot into Windows and on others there were hibernation and sleep issues. The results were very mixed.

With 1.8.8 the loader activates more systems than it used to, it's quicker than it used to be and it leaves far less systems hanging. I mean for something thats used by a ton of people I get very few complaints and thats something we're pretty happy about as I'm sure most people would be :p

Why would someone upgrade can come down to the user. Do they want to see if the loader is giving them the speed boost over older versions? Do they just want to update so that they can keep in touch with me and report if it's working on their systems?

What I can say is it's a lot more helpful to us when people do upgrade because then we get a ton of feedback which helps us balance things out as well as that shared information then becoming helpful to other users who may have an identical system. With that said some users just like to stick with what works for their systems and will remain using that version, often they have the file stashed away somewhere just in case but either way we don't pressure anyone into providing feedback or upgrading as we're just happy that people are using our work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm only using the new version when I install a new computer (virtual). On the computers there already is running Daz Loader, I do not upgrade. If it works, why mess with it? And MS WAT and WGA do not detect any loader from ver 1.7.7 that was the first one I used. I have installed MSE and KB971033, and still no problems at all.

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    'If it ain't broke don't fix it'

I hate that saying, I've never heard it used correctly before!

My car isn't broke, yet I still service it. I'm not going to wait around for something to go wrong with it before I service it! If that saying is a good one, why service my car at all? Why replace a working timing belt that still looks perfectly fine after 100,000km (thats around 60,000 miles, or whatever your car requires), when you may get another good 50,000km out out it?

The simple reason is, servicing is preventative maintenance, and reduces wear on the engine through lubrication. The timing belt is replaced because if the timing belt does go you f**k (and thats actually putting it nicely)! most engines. In fact, you will need a complete rebuild if your timing belt goes (its a belt that most people don't see because its hidden and protected by a cover).

Same with the loader. Sure, older loader versions work, but newer ones are preventative maintenance. Sure, like with your car something could go wrong (unlikely). Maybe putting the timing belt back on incorrectly, having it misaligned, or having something else go wrong due to servicing.

At the end of the day, you probably don't need to go with ever single loader, but if the actual loader changes (like it has recently) it may be a good idea :)

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I prefer "if it ain't broke don't mess with it" - if you call normal required maintenance and servicing "messing with it" you miss the point.

Microsoft don't issue updates just because they can - they reserve that pleasure for revenue raising with new versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I guess I was referring to not being found by MS anymore since 1.7.7 ;)

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would leave it if you wish but you can simply install version 1.8.8 over the old one and be fine.

10. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Daz,

Do we need to uninstall the older version prior to installing the new version?

or

Just run the installation, and it would automatically be upgraded?

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Uninstalling the old version is fine, but can have issues if you installed windows some time before (uninstall means reverting to trial which could have expired).
    As for me, I take the latest version, activate and then be done. If an even later version comes before 30 days (which it does), I am not too keen to install the newer version when the older version is working fine. By the way, I started with perhaps 1.6.. and that activated without any fuss. Only improvement that I see in later (1.8..) versions is that it does not force to restart. Saves some minutes!!!

12. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    What about if you never used trial at all and activated right away with the loader?

13. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #13 WinFLP, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    I have 1.7(.0) on one of my machines and have no intention of upgrading it on that machine as there's no problem. Doesn't hang, rarely rebooted so if it's quicker it wouldn't matter, KB971033 doesn't have any problems with the machine. For the most part the loader should be a set and forget method.

Unless of course you want to help provide feedback and whatnot, which is always appreciated :)
    "Trial" in this context would be the initial grace period, the first 30 days after Windows was installed. It's not really a trial per se, but grace period. If you activated using Daz on day 1, then fall out of an activated state on day 15 (by say bypassing the loader at boot), it would show 15 days to activate. If instead you fall out of an activated state 32 days after installation, you will drop to notification mode and be told to activate immediately.

However I think if you uninstall old then install new without rebooting, you won't end up with notification mode. As well I believe you can install new on top of old.

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I believe when you stop using loader to update or whatever it will be at the same day you first started using loader. Example you installed loader day 3 then if you uninstalled loader it would be right at day 3. Basically no time passes when you use loader in relationship to (trial duration) so activation freezes trial so to speak ;)

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This would mean that suppose on Day 1 you installed Daz, and on Day 5 you uninstalled it for whatever reasons, so by not having any activator, you would have 30 days trial (which was there on Day 1) and not 25. Is that really so??

16. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    From my experience, no. It will keep counting down from the initial install period. It will not "freeze".

Hold down "R" (I believe) at boot. When the GRUB menu shows up, start with no loader, and find out.

17. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    That is what I think. The trial period starts from the day you install the OS. I experienced this myself when installing a new version of Daz sometime back (could be 1.7.9 to 1.8). On uninstalling Daz after a few days of install Daz, it showed trial period of around 15-20 days (30 minus days elapsed from first OS install). Could be that the newer Daz and the not rebooting after uninstall could solve the problem.

If this is a problem, even if more than 30 days have elapsed from first install, and you get a notification, is that a problem in OS functioning. One can install the Daz and do what Windows is asking: that is to activate now.

18. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    There's no real problem.

Worst case scenario your background turns black. Otherwise fully functional, and once activated the nags will go away however you will have to reset the background.

19. rshastri

rshastri MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    I would like to know the answer to this as well preferably from Daz himself. The other members are not clear in their replies whether installation can be done over existing version without uninstalling first.

20. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    My guess:

The loader detects SLIC 2.1
    - Is it injected by a loader? If yes, uninstall the loader and apply the new one.
    - It is a real BIOS SLIC 2.1? If yes, install certificate and serial.
    The loader does not detect SLIC 2.1
    - Install loader, certificate and serial.

I'm only guessing, but this is how I think it works ;)