Dead laptop screen?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aznkid25, Mar 6, 2011.

1. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Today after I restarted my computer after installing some updates, my laptop started up fine, but the screen was completely black. The lights on my laptop are on, and I can hear the fan. When I plug in my laptop to a LCD screen, I can see everything fine. Does this mean my laptop screen is dead? Where is the best place to get a replacement? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    probably just the inverter has gone (the thing that makes the light work) you can check by looking at the display really closely and if you can see the display working then its just the inverter. First though check your display settings and driver.

3. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I never messed with the display settings. The display driver is up to date I can't see anything at all on my laptop screen even when looking closely.

4. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    As thethingy said...the inverter is the most likely, however if you cant make anything out at all its possible the screen cable has come loose,
    as the wiring on most laptops goes over or under the hinges.
    The backlight is another possibility, but is a real pain to change.
    Its unlikely your screen has packed up m8, usually this is preceeded by lines etc before it fails.

I would take the front bezel off, unscrew the screen and check the cable behind it.

5. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I did notice that prior to this happening, when ever I opened a video in VLC, my graphics driver would crash, but it would recover without any problem. I don't think it's a problem with my graphics driver though, since I can plug my laptop into a LCD screen, and see everything. I'm not too familiar with taking off the front bezel off. Also, I'm not seeing any screws around the screen.

6. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hello m8,
    The screws on the trim will be covered, either by little rubber pads or plastic, these easily come off to reveal the screws.
    What model of laptop is it ? as some can be awkward.

7. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I have a Compaq Presario F750US laptop. I'm looking at the little rubber pads around the screen & it looks like they are glued.

8. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Its one of the awkward ones m8, as you cant get at the bottom screws.
    I`m in work tmo so I`ll see if i can do you a walkthrough...pretty sure we have one in i can pull apart.

9. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Alright, thanks. I would really appreciate your help.

10. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Have you tried looking at the screen with a flashlight to see id there is a display? If the screen is working you can see the display with a flashlight when you can't se it without a light. Might be worth a try.

11. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    they are but they will pop off with a bit of gentle persuasion and stick back again.

12. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Yeah I tried that. Still couldn't see anything. The only way I can see what's on my screen is by plugging my laptop into a LCD monitor.

13. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ok thanks. Really appreciate it. Not gonna have time to do this until the weekend. Is it better to just replace the screen, or just get a new laptop? This laptop is 3 years old.

14. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    depends on what the laptops worth and how much a new screen/inverter is and how much you can get a like for like laptop for, my inverter went and it was a £25 genuine Toshiba part delivered and I fitted it for free, the screen I was quoted £100 odd and that would have been the second part to replace had the inverter not fixed things, the laptop was worth £500 so I would have replaced both parts had I needeed to.