Dead mothboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by throbber, Jan 11, 2017.

1. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You can usually fix that by re-setting the bios back to the factory defaults.
    Un plug the tower and use the jumpers or just remove the cmos (coin cell ) batter for a while. Once it re-sets you should go into the bios and set the time/date

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi throbber well I beliebe that first you need search on Shuttle website in forums, faq's after you need follow instructions from Joe C I hope you have good luck; still your son need learn that mobo is very antique then first he can run the system as "normal settings" know more about this mobo and finally try some overclock yet depending which cpu maybe don't support overclock sometimes setting wrong can damage mobo ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jeggg

jeggg MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2016
    He increased the % of?? (would help if he told you what exactly he changed)
    Possibly just a guess he increased ram voltage and fried a stick.(or both)
    If you have 2 sticks remove one and power on.

I see you have reset bios and went as far as changing cpu.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep exists several things to see so op (son) need explain better for we try help in some manner :(

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    sometimes just popping out the battery and putting it back in doesn't always give it enough time to reset the bios, The manual does show that there is a recessed bios reset button on the back on the right side near the I/O ports, as always unplug the tower first.
    If your son did attempt to over clock by adjusting the voltages, well, that could be very bad in one way but in another way, it is about 10yrs old so an upgrade could be an option too

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    pop batt out and power cord and do the jumper, hold power button 25 seconds and retry

8. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    Seems he's done everything that you guys suggested,and accepted it dead and past it.
    He's ordered another mother board.
    I still find it very odd how it how he managed this. I used to love over clocking way back. Im sure I used to tamper with many setting that I probably shouldn't have.
    Always a matter of crossing the pins on the mobo, or pop the battery out to fire it up again.
    May be amd is stronger than Intel.
    (tongue in cheek)

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @throbber I hope that you and son have a good luck with new mobo; still today I prefer AMD is only my personel sugestion and for mobo MSI works fine with over clock I know because I have MSI A88XM-E45 :)

10. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    thanks Tiger-1, im sure he will.
    yes i also love amd:D
    when i used to do a lot of video conversion/encoding, i had my 960t clocked @ 3.9ghz.
    i dont really need the power now,so its back to default.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    im loving my i7 4790K

i quit amd cpu in 2008 when i saw many dead boards within 2 yrs of manufacture... bad mosfets and caps due to high power draw.