Dear fellow couch potatoes: a challenge to myself... and you...

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by gorski, Jul 19, 2020.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    In the last decade I noticed bad changes (from the surface, i.e. from my skin, to my muscles and even all the way down, i.e. to my mitochondria) since I had a few serious injuries, illnesses, kids came into my life (THE best thing ever!!! - but it may add to the bad changes in our bodies, as we prioritise them over every aspect of our lives, naturally...)

Science can help with getting back to decent level of fitness by intense, targeted, if very short training per week:

To the best of my knowledge, long ago Bulgarian swimming coaches developed something similar for Olympic etc. training programme by monitoring lactic acid (if memory serves) in their athletes' blood, to programme individual training, which can bring an athlete to their peak for a specific competition...

So, who's up for a 6 minutes a day 10 weeks challenge (initially)?

We can even post some results here... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    A few more, just in case, like interval training...

Outside, if you're lucky, one could go for this, perhaps:

Or if you can't do that and you must do it indoors, if you're like me, you can try this:

Or at a slower rate initially:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Instead of excersises to combat dekadence why not just stop being dekadent ? Throw the sofa away and sit on the floor ....... and throw the electric car ego dildo away and ....... walk ? Ride a bycycle ?

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Maximalists, look here:

Run only here:

Historical approach with comparisons:

Good luck!!!

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    CS, stop being flippant, please... ;)

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Just turn your sight to the remote past: Paleolithic era.

We ran, jumped, sprinted, bended to get the meat/food we needed.

The almighty designed us or evolution of you like (both equipotent approaches) for such a lifestyle.

Move your f* ass out of that couch!
    Get sweaty get dirty for f sake.
    Your mitochondria will thank you, not your oncologist.
    Lol

7. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    >Move your f* ass out of that couch! Get sweaty get dirty for f sake.

Yep . Exactly . People with a decent sex life get enough exercise and dont need to compensate for their lazy dekadence with sport .

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Agree about sex not so about not doing sports. Scientific research has demonstrated our bodies are designed to have a lot of physical activity. Moreover, if you don't excersice hard you won't be healthy ever. Oh and let's not forget sunlight.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I did mention injuries and illnesses but OK, some here have a ginormous capacity for empathy... Sweet...

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Me no need yard work. Me burning calories lika lighter during benzo withdrawal :(

12. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Diet has more to do with weight loss than any exercise. Eat more protein and just walk 20 mins a day. Drink lots of water. Stop sitting so much.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Of course it is important. But that is just one part of the puzzle...

The other one is targeted practice...

Third one is support...

Oh, well...

14. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    #14 case-sensitive, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    >The other one is targeted practice...

Yep . Doing things consciously . I dont use lifts and carry my bycycle up stairs / steps ........ i go shopping with a rucksack ...... rather two times than one time with it packed full ...... same when i have to carry things in the house = Instead of carrying everything from the living room to the kitchen in one go i do it one thing at a time ...... slowly :)

>Third one is support...

Yes . Its easyer when done together ........ then i like to go for walks ......... for me the best physical and mental exercise ......... i calm down and see things clearer ...... and for me its the best way to get to know someone ...... Riding my bycycle earths me and swimng to ......... a few miles a day swimming works wonders and i can turn off ........ the world full of worrys and stres turns off ...... prioritys are different and become clear ....... and strangely strange ......... it doesnt cost anything and i dont have to torture myself .

Doing it with someone else is paradise = For me a large part of the beauty of life is shareing experiences ........ two people go for a walk and see something cool happen ...... and then turn to eachother and smile ......... both people experienced the same thing at the same time = TRUE comunication ........ = as near to another person as one can get .

15. I get enough exercise by going up and down the stairs of my house :p

But yes, exercise is good for body and mind.

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Sir if you're getting fat it's simple, you're eating more than you're burning, to lose weight do the opposite! How you choose to do it depends on you, but it has to be sustainable which for most people requires a lifestyle change!

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I wish it were simple.... alas... :(

18. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    What could be more simple than not doing something ? :)

19. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    ...... ' I eat therefore i am ' :) .......

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Are you deaf or dumb or just utterly self-centred or autistic or a sociopath or WTF?

I explicitly stated I have had serious injuries and illnesses - WTF is wrong with you?!? Immaturity is kinda nice for you, as you don't have to take responsibility for your actions but it is also a bitch on a public forum, eh?

At the moment I am waiting for an MRI, as I have a severe and rather debilitating stabbing head pains - but go on, pass your mighty judgement without knowing or caring about the subject you are passing your judgement, from "on high"...

Jesus Marx wept!