Debloat windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lexston, Apr 29, 2019.

1. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    I have downloaded a link from Github to remove bloatware from my computer (Windows 10-Home version, 1809) and i am having difficulty in even getting the process started after having followed the directions step by step, and i just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas about this script windows10Debloater.ps1 or if there's any information or recommendation that i follow or read up on in order to get the bloatware to de-bloat script to work. Also, if it's something that i would or should have a windows 10 reinstall handy because i purchased computer new in Feb. and no disc came with it but I do have fully genuine and was overwhelmed to join the GeekSquad as part of the deal...however, i'd rather not consult them for this kind of endeavor.

2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    5th post and your already trolling the forum

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    I beg your pardon (?)

4. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    Drew84
    You know in the Optimize-offline link, out of the included ones you provide (Thank you) this one seems like it's a little more un-intimidating or that is maybe it could be more that I can try it out and see if i can follow the instructions, etc...so this is definitely like a Win. 10 reinstallation is that right or for the most part, i should first get going with creating a bootable Disc, or ok-well, i should have a backup of windows 10 installation disc(?). I bought this computer as of Feb. at Best Buy and it was pre-loaded Home version 64bit etc...and the disc or the OS didn't come with it or that is, just this that is already pre-installed. When it comes to this whole debloating idea, i, of course am all for it, but it does feel like that in a round-about way, it's a re-install by the time this is in the workings or slim and trim and fully different results or for the most anticipated that is, when all's said and done and that's a ways away to get 'done' because this is over my head 4 sure, but i'm not afraid to go ahead and say that and would like to see a faster performing computer that's 4 SURE!
    Thanks for any thoughts or input if so.

5. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
  6. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    GUI (Graphic User Interface), as an example the desktop you use is the Windows GUI

(Making your own ISO) ... regarding UUP Dump, you simply read through the pages (selecting your options) at at the end it gives you an option
    to download a file (.cmd) which you simply run, and it does it all for you (the contributors all post here on MDL, abbodi, mkuba etc.)

W10Privacy, download the software and run it, a window will open up (takes a while, as it scans your system)
    it makes no changes to your system until you tell it to, so you are free to to have a look at what it provides and if any of it suits your needs

7. klarkkent

klarkkent MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    #12 klarkkent, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    There are three scripts in the download. All work the same and after you unzip them you just need to do a right click on one of the scripts, and then look at the menu and click on "Run with PowerShell". The last one of the scripts does everything and no interaction is necessary. The first script you just answer questions, and the second script gives you the ability to choose what you want in a GUI. (all three scripts do the same thing, so you can run all of them, it won't hurt anything if you do).

8. klarkkent

klarkkent MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Sorry double post.

9. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    This' the best info. so far so along this Windows 10 journey and in seeing how it appears to be a not-to-diffy task, i'll try it out this wknd. I may check back and let you know of the results and it's kind of crazy question but in between shots or that is, in the preparation if it was you or since i don't have back up copy of the OS should I prepare to learn that one 1st and put it together or whatever but have a Win 10 reinstall on hand if necessary and this is genuine since i bought the computer new in Feb. this year....

Thanks for the helpfulness for real!

10. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012

Thanks for this Graphic User Interface, i'm reading the replies from the bottom up and the one response after yours is also real interesting because it looks like it can't be a lot to this and i may have bellyached a little overly on the subject and either way, Thank you too for this whole lot that otherwise, how the would we learn right :)?

11. klarkkent

klarkkent MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    It seems like a very good script, I've used it alot. The GUI says it can be reversed, (don't know I haven't had the need to do that and probably won't since the script works so well). It never hurts to set a restore point before trying any script, of any kind. A good backup is always nice too, and having the version of Windows you like, on a stick is a great idea also.

12. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    I have much to do and to try like....the disc to make and backing up computer's another task to get to a restoration point and then hopefully the script i will be able to apply and go from there.

13. lexston

lexston MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
  14. catsmoke

catsmoke MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2018
    In case your post was not intended to be funny (even though it is), I will try to clarify the original poster's intended meaning, because a miscommunication seems to have occurred.

With absolutely no disrespect meant, towards the original poster, I think I can elucidate his text, by a minor re-write.

For

Please read:

...I purchased a new computer, in February, and no Windows disc came with it, but I do have a fully genuine copy, and I was so overwhelmed—by their sales pitch to me, that I join it—I even signed up for their Geek Squad Protection Program, as part of the deal.

Version with bracketed additions, for sake of clarity:
    ...I purchased a computer new, in February, and no [Windows] disc came with it, but I do have a fully genuine [copy], and was [so] overwhelmed[—by their sales pitch] to [me, that I] join [it—I even signed up for their] Geek Squad [Protection Program], as part of the deal.

Let us not assume malice, when lack of knowledge is most probably to blame.