Debloated Win7-Like Version of Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by doubtfire, Dec 2, 2016.

1. doubtfire

doubtfire MDL Junior Member

May 26, 2015
    Has anyone on these forums created a convenient ISO of windows 10 with features something like this:
    • LTSB
    • Telemetry removed
    • Security patches included
    • No onedrive, bing, or any Microsoft bloat
    • More stuff to make it closer to windows 10
    • No obnoxious forced updates

That would be a good start for anyone looking to switch to 10 without the hassle of doing these steps manually.

Do any of you people know of a thread where someone's prepared a similar ISO like this?

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Yeah I did an MSMG toolkit remove al the crap out of LTSB version but no sharing Iso's are allowed these days ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. doubtfire

May 26, 2015
    Oh I forgot about that rule.

Is it possible to share a script that performs these actions on my personal en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_6848316.iso ?

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

better use LTSB 2016 if you want to do it right ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  6. doubtfire

May 26, 2015
    I'd like to, but sharing ISOs isn't allowed :(

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Check your pm ;)

8. wiiija

wiiija MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    I'd be interested in this also, I'll check out MSMG toolkit :)

9. Johnbrookbeckett

Johnbrookbeckett MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2016
    @endbase I'd be interested too..

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Same here. A no frills Windows 10... would love it..

11. Wader8

Wader8 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2016
    Good to see one guy sharing my exact opinion, this is exactly what I've been thinking from the start, and I'm in early drafting stages ... but more in waiting mode, I'm not yet sure about the HDR support, i heard some article saying it's already in anniversary, now I hear it's coming out retail next year.

They says Rec. 2020 and HDR is supported already in some Insider Previews but ... for this a good stable version has to be picked, as well as a version which is future-proofable, because a mod ontop of it won't allow much updating other than some optional manual stuff at own risk.

12. 90

90 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Why is sharing iso not allowed? Microsoft do it all the time.
    It is too much effort to make a new iso with MSMG whenever MS release a new windows 10 version.

13. Wader8

Wader8 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2016
    Probably because of legal issues.

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  15. Wader8

Wader8 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2016
    #16 Wader8, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    We won't need to. Ofcourse MS can share it's their product.

So basically the kind of total conversion mod you guys and myself are trying to use it'll take a bit more work than just using the MSMG toolkit manually.

Now it looks as if MSMG toolkit is the answer, but no it's only part of getting there to answer this OP, what we need is a script for the MSMG toolkit to do , it's the script that will apply the mod, and create a new ISO, however you would need to get the sources yourself.

But first we need to actually make the mod, so I'm trying to reach out to several people here to maybe join efforts and , I have this thing wrapped around my mind so big that I really have it all there, i just need people I can assign a tasks to, ofcourse I don't want to be acting like a boss, but I believe I can manage it if need be, the rest, the actual modifications to the installation can all be figured out as we go, that can't be done here sitting and thinking, but the whole deployment thing I think it's good to go.

That's how I think is the most appropriate, intended for legal users, and how you get the source ISOs would be your own business at your own risk. Which means, there is no ISO that's going to be released as part of this mod, it'll be just like any other toolkit.

Now I can't explain in detail how the creation is going to work in this case, because we may apply some MSMG commands before actually applying our specific mod over it, let's say "disable this, remove that, disable that, set this" after that only then we may apply the mod which contains all the super specific GUI and settings/registry tweaks, putting in all the tweaks separately discussed and shared on various forums.

So, I'm only going to be talking and tinkering in depth to the peole who decide to join and will commit to this project, you don't need to be involved to the end, let's say you could vouch for 2-3 months, I can't waste the time to do this ahead and then when actually getting to work it's all over again and things change.

EDIT: Initial Advices If you want to join this project or actually use it ...

- Delay your move to Win10, or if you already use basic install, hang in there for some time, do not put work into your own ISO and then settle with it as "good enough", it'll not be worth it, you would want to reinstall after half a year or so or update and something will break and all over again, instead save your enegry and put it into this project when it takes off, but this is in prep and standby mode because I think we need to wait until RS2 hits release, we can't use buggy unfinished insider preview for this as updating will most likely break the whole mod so it'll be completely disabled, but we still need to see what will happen after RS2, not immediately, there could be some major bugs that would get fixed in the days after RS2 so, that's all up in the air which version will be used as the Win10Source. Updating regularly is also pointless from the whole stability point of view, the risk is too high, even if it doesn't happen for most, well, let's ask ourselfs, are most people even experienced enough to notice anything wrong after an update? It could be minor or major things that do not show up in the basic level of GUI.

As I mentioned we need to wait that the Rec 2020 and HDR support is finalized, before that makign this mod is all, I'm not sure yet the status of this in the insider previews, but they don't count anyway.

EDIT2: So now this gets in the way as well - microsoft-announces-build-2017-will-likely-show-off-windows-10-redstone-3

I got enough work on my hand that I don't need to move off Win7 for another year or so. So I'm not in a hurry. I want the whole Win10 thing to stabilize before commiting to it. We'll see if the RS3 has major features that are worth the wait.

EDIT3: Ofcourse, that's just commitment to a certain source version, but there's many things to do in the meantime for the discovery process, like what paths and values in registry are tied to which options, many of these registry paths will not change with the coming updates, so anyone wanting to help doesn't even need special peresquites or any instructions, your contributions will be added to a list and it'll be easier and faster once we seriously start modding these changes into practise, preferrably for this testing it's best to have at least the latest professional edition installed, not recommended with entry-level versions.

First example, the task manager, the default windows size, tab proportions, and other settings such as the default mode (basic vs advanced) these kind of things should need better defaults from the get go, all you need to do is to find the registry path and values where this is controled, most of these things won't be hard, but it's a lot of them, and deeper configuration options will ofcourse be a bit harder to find in registry, but without this the mod can't exist, very important.

EDIT:4

The mod will have modifications according to a vote of developing participants, for example on things like removal of windows firewall or windows store, if I'm the only one then this will be removed because nobody is participating to vote against it, ofcourse you would have to provide a compromise, you will have to put majority of the effort into it to make it work without it breaking the grand rules, that it would interfere with other programs or make phonehomes or hiddenly download things, so I'm open to such compromises, if you are a similar or equal contributor to the overall project.

Since this isn't focusing on security, important data and work should already be separately stored on different solutions altogether, and I'm not dealing with any paid clouds or online store purchasing, firewall and winstore will be completely removed as I won't be wasting my time on trying to make them work myself.