Debloating Windows 10: modify base ISO or modify installed OS

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ps_sz_jz, Oct 26, 2020.

?

Best way to remove bloat?

1. Modify ISO (remove bloatware before installing)

41 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. Modify installed OS (remove bloatware after installing)

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  1. ps_sz_jz

ps_sz_jz MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2018
    Hi, some years back, I had a geek friend install Win10 Professional 1803 on my system, and he did something to remove the bloatware from the ISO file itself, so when I booted up Windows, it gave me a super lean and fast system.

I have now wiped the drive and installed Win10 Education 2004. When I open Task Manager, I see lots of bloatware like Weather, Cortana, OneDrive, CloudExperienceHostBroker, Microsoft Edge, SkypeApp etc that were not present in the older install.

I dont care about any of these software, and I want to remove them from my system.

Should I modify the base ISO like my friend did? (How do I do this??)
    Should I try and remove the bloatware by manually uninstalling/removing them from my system?

Which option would be cleaner?

2. #2 Deleted member 1385001, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2020
    You can do everything on installed OS ie Online but cant tweak SystemApps Online for that you have to use a good debloater package . Many tools are there ie Ntlite , OPtimize Offline , MSMG toolkit & many more etc etc.
    If all these failed at your scenario will return in a bad experience after you installed your OS & went into an error anywhere then try this : Tweaking Scripts [Online & Offline]

3. ps_sz_jz

ps_sz_jz MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2018
    i mainly want to remove the following:

1. Weather (dont need)
    2. Cortana (i use Everything search)
    3. OneDrive (dont need)
    4. Edge (dont need, better options exist)
    5. Skype (dont want, i use web client)
    6. Any telemetry (this should be disabled by default)

are these system apps?

4. yes you can remove all of them from installed os as per your scenario . for edge you can use install wim tweaker as separate method . all of those are provisioned appx packages n can be removed from install os online via directly running a dism command .
    now a days edge is of two types one is edge legacy in built system app n one is chromium based edge introduced with 20H2 both can be removed from online os too.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Chopping will lead to future problems, how many of these threads do we get?

6. scandal1981

scandal1981 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2017
    There's a option in privacy under control panel that lets you disable background apps, I just did that and I dont risk "breaking" the OS with this removal tools or telemetry removal (can be done with gpedit.msc)

7. ps_sz_jz

ps_sz_jz MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2018
    am i going blind? because i dont see a windows debloating guide in the sticky threads...

8. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #8 ipx, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

9. how will cortana mess up with os on 20H1 as a separate provisioned appx package but not as seen in 1903 or 1909 or earlier editions.
    search app with cortana is no more in 20H1 . both are separated.
    for sure search app tweaking will diffinately mess up with os but cortana is in removable state .

10. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    ps_sz_jz

>Should I modify the base ISO like my friend did?

NO . Put a clean copy in and then if you feel the need chop it . Choping it before its even instaled is a very stupid idea .......... because ......... you cant put it back ? ...... If youve chopped it can you update it ? ........ If you can updatre it will it put the crap youve cut out back in again ? ....... every month ? .......... does something you migjht need depend on what youve chopped out ? ......How will you know untill it happens / you need it ?

>Which option would be cleaner?

Put it in without chopping things off .

11. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Elo ziomek

Elo ziomek MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2018
    Hey can someone HELP ME PLEASE @Enthousiast Hey man, could you help me possibly through team viewer? I'm trying to create a bootable USB with win 10 ltsc x64, i have used optimize offline, but i can't use the start menu search bar, it wont let me type anything, i also have some privacy things i want to enable, are you able to help me via teamviewer real quick? I will pay you for your time, i want to create a perfect bootable windows on usb, but i have some questions, do you have discord? or an app we can chat or go on teamviewer ill show you what i got

13. ps_sz_jz

ps_sz_jz MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2018
    OK thanks!
    i connected to the internet and "Delivery Optimization" is downloading something very big (it was using full internet bandwidth for almost 20 min before i shut down pc).
    is this something to be concerned about?

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Forum Rules

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Don't worry, i will never remote connect to other members' systems and surely not accepting money for my "work".

16. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I understand and am happy that the tips here were helpful :)

Windows 10 is an OS optimized for modern hardware so an SSD for example helps a lot in performance. But even with the best hardware in the world I think that an OS shouldn't use resources for things that I don't need and shouldn't do things that I didn't explicitly enable to do so I disable everything that I don't need. But it takes time and requires a lot of learning.

But I think MSMG Toolkit is a good tool to get started without requiring a lot of knowledge. It only gives you the option of removing what is safe. But it has to be done in ISO there is no way to use this tool in a live OS. And as I said if you remove components other than Windows Apps they will return with a cumulative update. You can disable Windows Update and continue using version 2004 or use LTSC (version 1809) that does not have the components returned with an update.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    ps_sz_jz

My opinion ---- >

>i connected to the internet and "Delivery Optimization" is downloading something very big (it was using full internet bandwidth for almost 20 min before i shut down pc).
    is this something to be concerned about?

My computer doesnt go into the internet untill after i install it and set it up ......... and i never update from microsoft . Enthousiast posts all the updates you need here with direct links .

>i've used the tips in this thread and pc is a lot more usable now.
    Vs
    >however, sometimes a process will start and consume high amount of disk/internet and i dont know why it does that?!!?

---- > :)

>however, sometimes a process will start and consume high amount of disk/internet and i dont know why it does that?!!?

Because youve done something to it :) ........ and how is anyone going to know what that is ? = Put it back in again without doing the things that cause that

> just want a pc like windows 7, that does NOT do stupid things on its own.

OK :) Now were getting down to it . That operating system doesnt exist . Telemetry and phoneing home is maybe a pain in the arse but you cant completely stop it ......... without putting a computer between your computer and the internet .

@ Confesing :) ......... I'm a chopping freak :) for maybe 15 years ........ nearly dayly ........ with XP , win 7 and win 10 . With XP it was easy ........ after about 2 years of practice and ripping my hair out :) ......... then again with win 7 . Each edition gets harder to chop . The latest one 19042 is a bitch . I've never had so much trouble before . Things are so intertwined and connected that i cant get a product that works properly so far .

But its all cost and time and effort ........ and it doesnt work anyway :) ........ because most of the things one can cut out dont matter anyway and they might get reinstalled with the next update .

SO ....... either get rid of windows and use something else ....... or .......... put something like a Raspberry Pi with a PI hole on it between your computer and the internet so that you can control all conections your computer makes ......... or take advice wich has already f**ked your system ......... or just acept it .