Dedicated backup drive won't let anthing to be written to or deleted from it for no good reason

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Cemster, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

I tried to restore to a previously 'created restore point' but it failed (System restore error 0x80070091).
    Because I had an Audio Driver issue...

Meantime I fixed my audio card driver problem (reinstall)...

But immediately two irrelevant things are screwed up now:

My dedicated 6TB backup drive won't let anything to be written to or deleted from it for no good reason!
    It started to show error: The Recycle Bin on Y:\ is corrupted...
    "Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this Drive?" I click Yes.
    But of course, the system won't let me due to problem number 1.
    "You need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder."

This drive is a 6 TB data drive and has been serving with no issues about a year now.
    And the drive shows no indication of errors or any weaknesses. S.M.A.R.T. stats are all green.
    My other system has no such problems with it.

What I have tried so far

- sfc /scannow: No Problems

- I did the change the owner to 'Everyone' and included the sub-folders.
    It scanned the whole drive and seemed like it completed the task without any errors.

- I activated the built-in admin account.
    takeown /F Y:\ /R It took, of course, forever to scan the drive.
    Results of that scan:
    Mostly: "SUCCESS" (including a bunch of Recycle stuff)
    Few: "The system cannot find the path specified."
    And This"You do not have permissions to read the contents of directory blah..."
    "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control? "YES"
    Scanned twice as much more: "Success in all entries"

Yet nothing has changed! I still don't have any permission for that Drive but reading permission...

Why now?! Why after trying (and failing) to Restore the system?
    The second OS that I am building as a workstation has no such problem and the only difference between the one with the problem is that one doesn't have U.A.C.

Any expertise help will be cherished...

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Try disabling recycle bin for that particular drive.Try also after re-enabling it.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That Backup Drive is a physical drive located in the Computer you use to backup? And it's NOT a USB attached drive?

Restart the Computer in Safe Mode (with Networking set to enabled) and try in that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    The trash bin is not the main concern here...
    If I can fix the drive problem that would be easy to fix.

My drive is not a USB drive.
    I am not sure what am I suppose to try? "in Safe Mode (with Networking set to enabled) "

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Read your own OP and try that what failed in Safe Mode!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kmmng

kmmng MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    cacls Y:\ /t /g everyone:f

7. cinescope

cinescope MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2018
    Likely it's switched to write protected. Use diskpart and remove the write protected attribute.

Cacls wolud be just useless on a write protected disk

8. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    Disable UAC and reboot your PC, this should solve the problem.
    UAC is good for nothing, all virus bypass it, so why keep it enabled?, I always disable it on all my PC's.

9. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    Thank you, everybody, for trying to help. This is far more attentive and responsive community than all the others I've posted at...

@pisthai
    I thought I've figured it out what you were saying: Try to get the ownership in safe mode. (why Network?)
    But I guess you are saying something else. What is OP?

@kmmng
    Because it is an 8TB drive filled with billions of little audio files and big ones. I am leaving that option to my last resort...

@cinescope
    I will check that out... Sound promising...

@taviruni
    That exactly what I was thinking because of my offline workstation with NO UAC!! And that one has no problems...

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What I meant: Try to restart the Computer in Safe Mode with Networking enabled and try to run your commands in that, related to the problems you mentioned in Post #1.

That's just to check if you could run that commands in low system level without any of that Add-ons running in the system as well. I don't was talk about the Ownership of files and folders!!

11. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    Got it... I will try... Thanks

12. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    #12 Cemster, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    (OP)
    UPDATE

So two more of my drivers start to behave just like my DATA drive. Again only with this OS (with UAC)
    The other system as always has no access issues to any of, now in total; three drives...
    During this problem with the original DATA drive, I was using this external drive just fine like every other day...
    Prior to this external one, there is no event that could be a cause; like a failed Restore Point or some other error containing a major event.
    (And there were another 1TB HDD which was also only readable. But I reformated it for restoring Images anyway...)
    Unless this thing is contagious through drives, this is bound to be a Windows dance, no?

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I sugest you get hold of a windows pe disk and boot from that, to see if you can access your files.

14. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Why windows pe,a live linux usb would be better & will completely rule out any potential windows/ntfs permission issues?

15. Xariwey

Xariwey MDL Junior Member

Mar 26, 2017
    changing the ownership to everyone could not always work since the acces level permision of the group everyone could be read only, better change the ownership to the SYSTEM and change the acces permision as well to fully control for the administrator group, and dont forget to add or set acces to the users group to modify, hope this help u.. and dont forget to set the inherited tick box

16. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    @urie I have no access problem! I can't write on it... Or delete from... And as I mentioned it before, I have FULL access to that same drive, with my other OS, the one without UAC...

@Xariwey I did gave the ownership to the System but I have no idea what to do about "to add or set access to the Users group to modify, "
    System is the owner and has full control. As it is, nothing has changed.

Next: I will try diskpart to see if the disk switched to write protected state...

17. Cemster

Cemster MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2018
    #18 Cemster, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    (OP)
    That sounds exciting... :)

UPDATE

Well even though I've learned thing or two, the most crucial information I've got is this:
    I already have all the permissions to NOT have this problem...

18. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    As I told you before:

Disable UAC and reboot your PC, this should solve the problem.
    UAC is good for nothing, all virus bypass it, so why keep it enabled?, I always disable it on all my PC's.

Only thing UAC does is protect the OS from stupid users, preventing doing some wrong things, but anyway they find a way to do it.

19. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    try to disable System protection.. Also, check make sure your chipset driver is currently up to date such as Intel or AMD..