deepin OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JBenal, Sep 25, 2015.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Chinese developed, I tried this a while back

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    It is true:Deepin OS is a pleasant surprise for me!:eek::eek::eek:

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It is getting boring, all these distros. It is like everybody made their own theme of Windows 7 repackaged it (used to be done with XP, called some dark edition etc)
    None of these distros bring anything new to the market really, only make it more confusing

5. gDrive

gDrive MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    Makes you wanna beat the living s**t out of the people who do infrastructurally samey repacks, doesn't it? I know it does for me - it is nothing more than a waste of time and bandwidth for the most part if you ask me.

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #6 Skaendo, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    I agree with both of you. That is why I have only used 2 distros as my daily driver since I started using Linux over 15 years ago. In '99 I started using Debian full time and then almost 2 years ago I switched to Slackware. If you cant do what you want with one of those two distros then you might as well just use Windows. I have never even considered using a distro that has a "Windows like" theme. The whole point of Linux is it's not Windows.

With that being said, most of the distros that I see people experimenting with look more like a Mac than they look like Windows. Even this one, once you put that "dock" down there it looks like a Mac to me, at the very least a Mac/Windows hybrid.

*Right now I am test driving FreeBSD/Cinnamon and really liking it. So I might switch again. :)

7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I like much more Plasma 5 but while that is not yet stable...i'm in love with deepin!!:worthy:

8. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #8 Mutoid, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Personally , I think it's best NOT to get it from Sourceforge.... I think it's best to totally avoid them.

I share the same views as most of the people who posted on this MDL thread :-
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/61501-How-about-that-SourceForge

I wanted to try Bhodi Linux but I could only find the download on Sourceforge , so I chose to do without it , for now.
    I just can't live with all the bundled crapware .... and yes , I know all the arguments .... economic necessities ,
    changing business models etc , etc ...

Sad to say , but that's the way wind blows ....

.... Deepin looks nice though !
    Thanks for posting.

9. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    And based on Html 5 .....don"t know what to think about that. :eek:

10. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  11. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #11 Mutoid, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Whoa Yeah .... " You the Man " - :worthy:

That's what I'm talking about , and what can be so great about forums , especially when they are quality forums .

I'm new on this one , and it looks like a winner !

My Thanks

12. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    @ SOCRATE_MMXII

That Softpedia link still leads back to Sourceforge.

Same story with Manjaro , even starting at their home-page !

In both cases , uBlock stopped the link .

13. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I downloaded yesterday Manjaro from Sourceforge...All good :md5sha sha1sum MATCH

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Sorry... o_O

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #15 Skaendo, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

SourceForge while kind of evil, is not entirely evil. If you can verify the sha1sum against the one from the distros website that you are trying to download, you should be ok. But yes they do practice some shady things there at SourceForge, and many projects are moving away from there for just that reason.

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    But in this specific instance, what can SF do in an .iso image, please? Anyone tried/checked? Details?

17. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I don't think that sf is tampering with the hosted ISOs on its server.
    If you have adblock with adsense filters can use sf without a problem.

18. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

I download from SourceForge all the time. But I am on Linux, Firefox with AdBlock Plus. It's mostly source code that I get from there that is from FOSS projects, and linked from SlackBuilds. I never see any ads or shady links/buttons, and I never have a problem with the software.

19. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Same here. Just downloaded GRUB2 Bootloader KCModule from there. Everything looks good.

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Likewise, FF + uBlock + Ghostery + additional protection...