default gateway offline at seemingly random..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by captain kid, Dec 15, 2009.

1. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    #1 captain kid, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    I had some internet problems before after I started using Windows 7, but thought I had it fixed by uninstalling AVG Free and doing a dns flush.

But just now twice in a row my internet connection failed again.
    Some facts:

-Removing the internet cable in my PC and putting it back in fixes it.
    -Disabling and re enabling the Realtek Driver fixes it.
    -Windows 7 troubleshoot finds nothing, but Windows Live Messenger says my default gateway is offline.
    -I am using a router; a Linksys WRT54G2
    -The one other PC in the home network is not affected.
    -I can not even access my router through my browser.
    -I don't see anything wrong when I use ipconfig in cmd.exe (could be wrong)
    -Screaming and crying does not fix it.
    -I have used the search on the Windows 7 forums and read all threads.;)
    -Network map feature has never worked even when I have internet.

Lastly I know not much about networking; I enjoy tinkering a bit with my PC but networking is to dull and unfathomable. :(

Edit
    -I have an Asus motherboard, so no Nvidia Nforce.
    -Powersave for the Realtek driver is turned off.

2. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Do you have DSL modem (they can cause these kind of problems)?
    Try disabling (uncheck) IPv6 on your network connection.

Cheers

3. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    What does DSL mean? I have a cable (Not adsl) connection.
    I will uncheck IPv6 and see if it happens again.

I get the feeling it happens when I'm downloading or requesting a lot of stuff at once. It just happened again and I was downloading several torrents at maximum speed.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #4 genuine555, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Ipv6 probably won't change anything.

So you have a cable modem connected to an integrated router, which is connected to your pc's ?

A possability could be a memory leak in your router. Sometimes when firewall is enabled, the logfile it generates causes a memory leak, and after some time the router's log mem gets saturated, and everything just blocks untill you reset the router, or reset the connection in any way.

But as this only happens on one pc, I'm not that suspicious towards your router.

Try swapping with another UTP cable, it could be failing. Crosstalk (NEXT or FEXT) could be the culprit. Or maybe an open or short in the cable (but less probable).

Check if these services are running :

Homegroup Listener
    Homegroup Server

There is a bug known with Homegroup listener, in which case this service just ceases to run. Haven't seen a fix for it yet.

EDIT : SCRAPE that ! Haden't read the torrent part.

lol, I have the same issue as you have. Picking up the memory leakage again. THAT is your cullprit.
    I have a Belkin router with the same issue. Firewall enabled causes the log to fill up very fast when dl torrents, and the router just stops connection with the outside world untill you reset.
    Only fix would be a firmware update, so best check if there is one for your router.

NOTE : you can test this, by completely disabling firewall in the router console. You won't have the issue then.

5. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    If by wrt54g2 they mean that router is version 2.0 of the wrt54g series, then it is supported by dd-wrt.com I would suggest flashing the router with dd-wrt, its the only firmware I use now, and it will turn that standard home router into a corporate class router for no money and a little time invested in setting it up...

6. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    After disabling Ipv6 I haven't had a disconnect yet.. Not that that is saying much, I went a whole day without issues. And then all of a sudden 3 in a row.

Just downloaded several torrents at high speed again and no issues this time.

I bet it has something to do with Windows 7; maybe its responsible for my router clogging up or some other issue. I wish I could force the disconnects to happen at will, so I could connect it without my router and check.

7. Pastaroo

Pastaroo MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    I'm going to throw out an idea... does anybody know if W7 has a limited IP stack like XP does? I'm thinking of the event ID 4226 issue on XP. Microsoft limited the XP IP stack connection limit to 10 (half-open SYN connections), causing event ID 4226 to appear in the logs. If W7 isn't limited like XP, it would support more connections (traffic), and you could very well be overloading your router's NAT/state table.

Is there any way you can keep one eye on your PC/downloads while the other is on your router? I'm wondering if you might be able to catch your router resetting, causing your PC to drop connections.

OR.. if you can access your router web interface, and you can view any kind of uptime metrics... check and see what your uptime says after the next connection loss. See if you've had a reset or not.

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #8 genuine555, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    The half open connection limit is no more in win7.
    In xp he wouldn't have that issue unless he used the eventID4226 patch.

It still means the issue lies with the router, not with win7.
    He will not see his router reset when FW log gets overloaded.
    Even with port forwarding enabled for his torrent app, FW will log tons of connections, and a mem leak will cause it to sky-rocket.
    Connections will just block out, and downloads will drop.
    His network will still be connected, but throughput will be nill.
    And only after a manual reset, will the router function properly again.

Only a firmware update could (maybe) fix it. I have the same issue with my integrated router here.
    The dd-wrt would maybe be a good idea, as stated before...

9. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    There was an other person on the other PC which runs at XP.
    That PC was not affected, it had internet all the time.
    The person would have noticed especially because the PC uses Windows Live Messenger. So far I had no disconnects after turning of ipv6..

But I'm still not convinced its ok, I went more then a day before without disconnects.

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    IPv6 service is needed for Homegroup listener to run properly.

11. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    Doesn't matter :)
    I never ever got my PC's to work in a network anyway and since the other PC still runs XP I still won't.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    No worry's then.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I see you have teredo pseudo interface enabled...
    I take it you don't actually need a means of encapsulation ipv6 packets (you're not connected through your school or anything ?)

So try this :
    Open an elevated command prompt window:

a. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    b. Right-click "Command Prompt".
    c. Click "Run as Administrator".

Type this command, then press Enter:

netsh interface teredo set state disabled

(leave also ipv6 service disabled)

Allthough I still think your router is the troublemaker, teredo tunneling interface has seen it's part of hassles.
    Let me know...

ps: probeer echt eens een nieuwere firmware voor je router. dd-wrt is misschien een goed idee als je router het ondersteunt...

14. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    Will try this.
    I could not find any new firmware or an update for my router on the Linksys site. I have a Linksys WRT54G2 version 1. I also could not find any compatibility issues with windows 7.

I have no idea what dd-wrt is and am only interested if it would solve my problem. :)

I don't need a fancy router, I only bought a router because I have two PC's and a Xbox.. I hate routers and wished there was an other solution to have multiple PC's connected at once.

15. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    I disabled teredo pseudo interface and just had a disconnect again.
    If this continues I'll have to go back to windows XP and I really don't want that. :mad:

Please keep the suggestions coming.

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I found out my router finally has support for open-wrt.
    So I just installed the firmware, and it runs magnificent.
    It's bulked with settings I have always missed on the damn router.
    The memory leak in my router's log should be fixed now,
    thanx to a setting called IP-filter settings. It allows you to increase number of open connections, and lower the time-outs, to ensure stable connectivity, and to ensure connections get closed properly (in p2p-apps, connections often don't close properly). Running for 4 hours now with utorrent dl'ing @2.3MB/sec non stop, and it keeps on going.
    So finally my router is fixed...

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, I had this issue with my router for over two years. Now finally I have support for wrt.
    Installed it by following instructions, and now I have no more mem leak, and it even runs better.

It is the ONLY fix for such an issue. I wish I could prove the leak in my router that is now all gone.
    Open WRT is way better then any factory firmware. I now see it for myself, and seeing is believing.