Defragmenter

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lunar21, Oct 22, 2012.

1. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Hey was just wondering, would it be ok if I got a defragmenting program for Windows 8 or is it useless?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sukinsin88

sukinsin88 MDL Addicted

Oct 17, 2012
    i use defraggler it work ok :) also ccleaner

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    What about the VSS compatible mode in Auslogics disk defragmenter (may have to be manually enabled?) and Perfectdisk 12.5 (latest build is Windows 8 compatible)? These defraggers and others just use the Windows Defrag API, it's just the algorithms etc that vary.

6. HeadWalker

HeadWalker MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    If you do not want to have problem with the function fast startup of windows 8, do not use PerfectDisk and O&ODefrag, even in recent versions that are compatible with Windows 8, they have problems that affect the function fast startup.

I tested only PerfectDisk and O&ODefrag, other programs may also have the same problem.

And my opinion, defragmenter windows 8 does its job very well.

7. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Use Tuneup Utilities 2013 for defragmenting and for many other utilities in it. It is fully compatible with Windows 8 RTM. Although it comes as trial edition, you'll get the patch to make it full via torrent. Get it from- tune-up.com

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    -PerfectDisk Pro 12.5 Build 312 is Windows 8 compatible defragmenter. It uses Windows APIs + optimized algorithm (smart placement) for its operations (as pointed out by burfadel). It is compatible with VSS and safe to use. In one boot defrag + single smart pass, disk is defragmented + optimized + consolidated completely and nicely. I like to use defragmenter manually only and it supports this :) Real boost in all programs...
    -O&O Defrag Professional 16.0.151 is also Windows 8 compatible defragmenter. It is VSS compatible and can also distribute files on system drives in three different zones. Results are good too, but not at par with PD.
    -Auslogics Disk Defrag Professional 4.x is compatible with Windows 8. It supports VSS and results are satisfactory.
    -Puran Defrag Free Edition 7.5 is free Windows 8 defragmenter with boot defrag support. Results are good with some tweaks.

DiskTrix is not ready for Windows 8. It has some real nice custom disk layout options. I have used it previously in Windows 7 with some success to boost system speed/responsiveness. I placed boot + selective folders from Windows, ProgramData, Program Files, & others and get good boost. The biggest disadvantage of custom disk layout is need of frequent defragmentation to maintain system boost level, which itself is more troublesome compared to minor benefits.

It is essential to check Windows 8 compatibility because Microsoft has optimized NTFS file system in it. Windows 7 compatible defragmenter will cause a lot of problems in Windows 8, if used in forced/compatibility mode.

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
  10. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Win7 and Win8 internal defrag are very good, better than many others.
    Internal defrag can organize files for better boot, defrag metadata and are sure that don't damage the FS.

11. Luckie

Luckie MDL Junior Member

Jan 14, 2008
    why are you not using the buildin one? It runs in background when PC is idle. This is fine.

12. supisiche

supisiche MDL Junior Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Ultradefrag is the best. A full optimization takes a lot of time but it leaves your files on the fastest sector or your drive.

13. ChaosZero112

ChaosZero112 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2012
    I use Auslogic. Used to use O&O on Win 7. But haven't substantial testing on 8 so I don't know the "best" one yet when it comes to true optimization. And I may never notice since my boot drive is an SDD.

14. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    The problem with that logic is people may blame the wrong thing! But that said, if you use a Windows 8 compatible defrag you should be ok.

I don't use fast startup either. I don't see the point on wasting space on my SSD to increase the speed of windows startup a few seconds. It is already very fast so the extra couple of seconds aren't an issue.

15. HeadWalker

HeadWalker MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Your logic is wrong.
    O&O Defrag 16 e PerfectDisk 12.5 are compatible with windows 8 and both have the same problem.
    You dont use fast startup, but more than most do not have an SSD and uses the fast startup, which is the default option windows 8.