Deleted a partition which had linux on, now windows won't load.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gasburner, Aug 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Gasburner

Gasburner MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2010
    I was going to install Mac OSX alongside windows 7, so i could have both, however when i made the free space, i deleted a partition that i had forgotten had Ubuntu 10.04 installed. If windows had formatted the partition, everything would be fine, but it only deleted the image of the partition, so the hard drive doesn't think there's anything there, but the full linux install is still there.

This throws up an error during POST that says Unknown File Type, and then a command line thing that says grub error> before every line you type, which i beleive means its linux doing this.

I am currently using the Mac OSX disk utility to try and make the partition, but all of a sudden, there is only one partition on it, which is a Mac OS Extended volume, which SAYS it's empty. Like i say, it's not, it just thinks it is, so when i try to format/mount the partition it errors. This brings me onto my question.

Is there a program i can get which will completely wipe this hard drive, without the need to be inside an OS?

Many thanks

Nick

2. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    also look into something called super grub disc. worked for me before

3. Gasburner

Gasburner MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2010
    WinFLP, that dban worked perfectly, now OSX is installing without a hitch. I have decided to just go full osx, no dual boot. Thank you so much!