Deleted System Reserved Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ineedh3lp, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ineedh3lp

ineedh3lp MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #1 ineedh3lp, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    Hello!

I just did a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 install today on a 120GB Intel SSD drive with the SATA ports on AHCI mode.

When I reached the screen showing the SSD as unallocated space, I created a single partition, but then Windows said it might create another one and it did (100MB one). Now, I'm familiar with this behaviour, but I'm not sure about the difference in benefit between keeping such a partition or not.

I just deleted it and left those 100MB as unallocated space then continued with the installation on the newly created partition. It didn't ask me about quick or normal FAT/NTFS formatting (I suppose it's out of the question when it comes to SSD drives).

So, I'm wondering, should've I left the system partition or not? I know it doesn't do any good when I'm encrypting my system partition, but is there any advantage having/keeping it ?

2. Skylined

Skylined MDL Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I remembered I booted with a Ubuntu Live CD and used GParted and deleted the partition and resized my main partition to the full disk size sometime ago but it isn't worth the trouble...because this 100mb is at the beginning of the disk, it takes some time to do this...

Almost all my OS hard disks have this 100mb partition, it doesn't bother me and if it is visible in Windows, just remove the drive letter using Disk management, what is a 100mb these days - a mp3 album?

3. ineedh3lp

ineedh3lp MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #3 ineedh3lp, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for the clarification. It seems nothing presented about it would be of interest to me. And I didn't delete it to gain 100 MB (after all, I left them unallocated and I won't create a 100MB partition : D), but to keep data compact ready for system encryption. I've been roaming a lot the encryption forums and it's said to be a headache having that extra small partition. Either way, it adds no interesting features to me and as long as it doesn't hurt having it deleted, it's all OK. Thanks!

4. alias31

alias31 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    I personally wouldn't keep it because I have a hard drive with a system image of my computer after installation (everything installed the way I like it).

I have 3 internal hard drives;)

5. pompano

pompano MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2011
    Yup I had to do the same thing. I had to delete my partition to load windows.

6. Skylined

Skylined MDL Member

Nov 10, 2008
    afaik you don't have to delete it to install Windows, just select your other partition (not the 100mb one)

7. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    As acrsn stated, the main purpose for the 100mb partition is for Bitlocker although it protects other files as well. I personally don't like it there and use 3rd party (Paragon) to avoid it. I can manage my BCD and boot manager just fine if it goes missing...... If I can't do it, Acronis can (drive Image).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Chillipops

Chillipops MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Hi any advice offered please?

Hi,

I have an external 60gb sata drive and wish to use it as I never have since the shop sold me it because I had a windows crash and they saved all my data on it, I plugged the drive in but it wouldnt respond, to cut a long story I mistakenly deleted the 100mb partition with [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the "system reserved" files in them, is there anyway I can fix this as I now cant access the drive at all, can anyone help me please ????[/FONT]