Deleting Files

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by aamir007, Nov 28, 2009.

1. aamir007

aamir007 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    Hi

If somebody is going to give a laptop to the police for investigation since it has been hacked, the hacker has deleted a lot of files can the police recover those files?

Thanks

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    What exactly....?

It depends on how the files were deleted. If you just delete them in the windows GUI (recycle bin etc), they can be easily recovered. Even formatted hard drives can be recovered. The only 100% safe way of erasing data is to mash up the hard disk. Grind it to powder ;)

But less drastic methods (boot&nuke and the typical deleting algorithms) are considered safe...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The data are recoverable as long as they haven't been overwritten with new data. There is basically no 'empty' space when you delete a file. It's only indicated that that space that was used before is now ready to be written again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aamir007

aamir007 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    thanks

is there any program i can get which i can recover the files with no bothered if you have to pay for the program and not bothered about the price as long as it works and is easy to use and i can access those files. I would prefer the best one.

5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    There are professional file recovering services...but I don't think they're "kind of cheap" if you know what I mean ;)

And for recovering software I'd just hit google. Or maybe something from O&O?

6. groovesection

groovesection MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    All that happens in Windows when you delete a file is the meta data is removed, thus marking the sectors on the disc as free space, the data is still there until it is over written (by another file)
    the more times the sectors are over written the harder it becomes to recover the original data.
    I said harder, not impossible :p

7. aamir007

aamir007 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    Thanks, I searched on google found one called Recover My Files and seems to work very good and i have successfully recovered a lot of files even those i had accidently deleted. :) I would recommend it to people who have accidently deleted files works very good. Even recovers from usb i had to format a usb and i successfully recovered the files and i can open them.

8. groovesection

groovesection MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    1 thing to add..

To anyone that accidentally deletes a file from the recycle bin, the first thing is to run the recover program straight away.do not move/or copy and files to the drive you deleted from.this will make the chances of recovery much more likely :D