Deleting network boot DHCP, PXE?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by norky, Feb 19, 2012.

1. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    I think it's a BIOS issue but not sure so please forgive me if this post is in the wrong category:

I've purchased a private-built PC and it wants to connect to some kind of network every time it boots up idling on DHCP until I hit the Esc button - or wait like 5 minutes before it quits by itself. I assume the previous owner had some special network setup which I don't need and I just want to connect to the internet through my regular ISP for which I don't think this is necessary. I've bought from third-party so I can't connect to the original owner; please help me delete this thing so it can boot without always needing to hit the Esc button.

It seems it has something to do with PXE - I don't know what that is...
    Here are two screenshots from the second boot up screen: one during the idling, the second right after I hit the Esc button:

idle1.jpg idle2.jpg

Thanks in advance,
    Norbert

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #2 redroad, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    you simply need to enter the bios and search out the selection for PXE and press the selection to turn it off. It is either on or off. Same with the other entry. If you want a more specific answer you will have to be more detailed about the motherboard and if there is a network card present in it but even then you can turn off the slot in the board. Post back with questions or results.

3. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks a million!
    I entered the BIOS setup and there was a ton of unnecessary items in the boot sequence including booting from the Realtek Network Controller so I just deleted those entries and everything seems fine. I haven't actually looked if there's a setting for PXE (I will, just to make sure) but this seemed to do the trick and now the whole thing doesn't show up at boot.
    Thanks again!

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Your welcome;)