Deleting x86 files form x64 Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moonburn, Nov 7, 2009.

1. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Hello,

I recently moved to Win 7 Ultimate x64 on a seperate partition. The old partition contains obsolete Program files and the Windows directory of the x86 installation. I would like to delete these folders, but I'm unable to do so. I've tried everything, safe mode, taking ownership, the 'Unlocker' utility (but it doesn't work on x64), etc. Although this Windows installation is not being used anymore, I'm unauthorized to delete these two folders. I'd rather not format, since it also contains gigs of music, movies etc.

Thanks in advantage!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Retired

Retired MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2009
    Do a google search for a program called "OWN". Install it. Right click on the directory and run OWN. This should give you access to the directory so you can delete it!

3. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #3 moonburn, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    (OP)
    Sounds useful, but even for an experienced Googler, I can't find it :(

Edit: I also tried the takeown and icacls commands, but still no success. I need SYSTEM priviledges, but am unable to alter this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...