Dell 15z Blue Screens (dell cant help, maybe i can get help here)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kchase731, Jun 29, 2011.

1. kchase731

kchase731 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    Ive had my Dell 15z for about 3 weeks. Ive spent countless hours on the phone with dell. They replaced the machine, and the new one has the same issues. The machine is unusable. Ive attached the minidump files. I believe its a problem with the NVidia Optimus technology. It seems to have issues going from the intel graphics to the nvidia. Im hoping someone here can help.

If i could get windows working the machine would be really nice.

(i cant post the minidump i dont have enough posts) do here is the link:

http : / / w w w. kylechase.com/dropbox/minidump.rar

2. -JC-

-JC- MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    #2 -JC-, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    Hello :)

You believe correctly ;)

WinDbg short answer:
    Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+d2f18 )

I think you are using an old(/wrong) or not up2date driver.

Have you installed the correct driver for your system (Vista/7 x86/x64 etc.) and the latest one?

EDIT: Always deinstall your old driver (+ Reboot!) and then install a newer driver.
    (If Windows 7 asks -after the (deinstall) reboot- for another reboot to install the Windows 7 default Nvidia VGA Driver: Reboot!)

3. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Yep, sounds right on to me. I would get the latest drivers from the Nvidia site, not windows updates. There is no need to manually uninstall the drivers anymore, the Nvidia driver installer now gives you the option to remove all previous traces of the old driver, essentially the same thing, but in one step. As a last option you could check out their beta drivers page as well. You might have to wait for better drivers to come along, but don't wait too long, or you won't be able to return the laptop anymore.

4. kchase731

kchase731 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    #4 kchase731, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for the help. Ive been a longtime user of this forum, however ive never posted. I usually read to find the answer.

The problem with the right driver is this: windows update likes to auto install the intel driver, then if you try the nvidia driver it will not allow you to because its looking for a driver from the manufacture (dell) this machine HAS 2 GPUS if that wasnt clear.

I have tried both ways after a clean install Dells intel GPU driver, then the NVidia driver. I also tried a clean install avoided the auto install of the intel driver went to intels site got the latest driver then installed NVdias latest driver. both methods result in frequent blue screens. Dell is mad because i wiped the original hard drive and their answer is to restore to the factory bloatware image. that doesnt help ether it still blue screens.

I did find a way to basically "disable" the nvidia card from within the nvidia control panel. but it doesnt completely work. when something like flash loads it sometime still bluescreens. looks like i might have to wait for intel and nvidia to figure out how to make optimus work.

any other suggestions ill gladly try

* the beta driver 275.50 made it even worse. im using 275.33

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    this is probably a dumb suggestion, but can you just not use one of the many generic video adapter drivers that are included with 7 just so that it is working, instead of using the specific driver for your hardware???

again sorry if this is dumb, i'm not familiar with your hardware...

6. kchase731

kchase731 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    for the nvidia there is no "generic" driver. and for the intel the "generic" driver makes it worse, as the nvidia card keeps trying to take over and crashes the machine.

I am glad people here were able to at least back me up. Dell seems to be trying to blame spyware my anti virus software (which i dont have one installed) basically anything but the crappy drivers.

7. -JC-

-JC- MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    You can ignore the intel driver. That's only a problem with the nvidia driver.
    And: Windows installs automatically the VGA Driver? Disable this option! You have to choose the driver you like and not windows automatically.

Try this:
    - Reboot your Laptop
    - Press F8 and boot in save mode
    - Uninstall your Nvidia driver - if the driver ask you for a reboot don't reboot... yet!
    - In the command prompt ("cmd") type in: "del /a /s nvlddmkm.sys" [In the rootfolder = at c:\ not c:\windows\system32 !]
    - Now reboot and hit F8 again to boot in save mode
    - Install the new Nvidia driver. (I recommend the latest (none beta) from http ://support.dell.com) and reboot normally

That should fix the problem.

The only problem is, that after the driver update from the nvidia driver, the file "nvlddmkm.sys" was not updated.

Please report if this "workaround" helps you :)

8. kchase731

kchase731 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    unfortunately no luck. i had to take ownership of the files manually then run the command. you cannot install a video driver in safemode. one thing interesting i learned while doing this is that if i disable then re-enable the nvidia driver it blue screens the machine every time with a 3b error or a 1f error.

this is the first time ive been able to make the machine to blue screen on "command". still no luck at all from dell. they have been useless.

9. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Quite a feat indeed, though not a very desirable one. Have you tried an app like Driver Sweeper to remove all drivers leftovers from your computer? This may help before installing the new drivers.

One thing though, if it does this on factory drivers/settings this cannot be a good sign at all... However, I would suggest to ANYONE that if you want to wipe your HDD of any brand PC/Laptop that has a restore partition or custom drivers, etc., to FIRST backup all existing factory drivers from your computer using a program like Driver Magician Lite, so that you have those exact drivers for your fresh install.

Are they saying your wiping of the drive voided their warranty? If not I would demand they provide you with a different laptop (different model) even if it ends up costing you a little for any upgrade. I know those graphics display errors and bsod's can be very hard to get rid off, on one of my systems it was due to RAM that was very picky and I have never been able to run it stable in any system, tho I have tried several times over the years. Try a bunch of different things but don't take months doing so... try everything you know how to do, and if it doesn't fix your problems, demand something else.

10. -JC-

-JC- MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    What a pity :(

I read this workaround in a german forum. The Mod said that helps a lot of people :confused:
    (But also i did't believe that it is possible to install a driver in save mode)

Hmm.. so you have installed the latest Chipset drivers, right?
    Intel Management Engine Interface
    Release Date:5/23/2011
    Version:7.0.0.1144, A00
    &
    Intel Huron River (HM67)
    Release Date:5/23/2011
    Version:9.2.0.1015, A00

And your are using the latest VGA Driver for Intel/Nvidia?
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Release Date:3/21/2011
    Version:8.15.10.2321, A05
    &
    nVidia GeForce GT 525M
    Release Date:6/13/2011
    Version:8.17.12.6830, A08

For the last step I would recommend you a fresh Installation of Windows 7 + Installation of the latest drivers from the Dell Support Site.
    (First: Chipset, then VGA, LAN, Audio etc. - And when a Installation wants a restart= Restart - Every single time!)

I wish I had your laptop right in front of me, just to solve this damn problem... :mad:
    (I worked with Dell Laptops/Workstation almost five years - No Problem I could not fix... until now.) :motz:

11. kchase731

kchase731 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    Thank you for all the help. I have tried all the methods. I have wiped and reinstalled windows more than a dozen times in various combinations of drivers.

I have all the latest drivers (im actually a network admin, and Dell certified partner...HA. Lot of help that seems to be)

somethings that are interesting, are If you install Dell's version of the Intel HD driver, you can only install Dells version of the nvidia driver. If you install intels version you can only install nvidias version of the driver. they seem to be singed by Dell, and locked.

I have tried it both ways. both dells drivers, then tried intel + nvidia. same results.

I do have a full factory back up. actually, i have the factory harddrive out of the machine. but even if i boot off that drive, i get blue screens. and lots of random hangs.

The comment about upgrading...I cant. this is their top of the line product. I cant really demand more. I could exchange it for a latitude (enterprise machine) but its not a form factor i am willing to carry. I bought this to replace my MackBook Pro 15". I said im a Dell Certified Partner...I am. Dell finally made something I wanted to carry in the field (well, latitude 16z would have worked but it was under powered)

Another issue with this machine is something I googled that seems to be called "stealing focus" the active window keeps forgetting...so when you are typing the window that was active not longer stays active. its very annoying. I think its all part of the driver problem.

12. kchase731

kchase731 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    Well. After countless hours and countless windows reinstalls I have found a method that keeps the machine running. not exactly the best solution. but its working for now.

i used the Intel rapid storage manager from my desktop (10.5.x) vs. the one that Dell recommends (10.1.x) and simply did not install the nvidia driver at all. I have not had a bluescreen yet on this configuration. rather pathetci that i cant use the second GPU but I dont game at all, so really the intel GPU is all i need...however it would be nice to have the ability to use the faster one.

thanks again for all the help. maybe nvidia will update the drivers soon, and a newer one will help.

13. -JC-

-JC- MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    Send me your laptop! I'll (try to) fix it! ;)

Such a nice piece of hardware and you can only use it without the Nvidia driver. :(

Btw: When you are an Dell certified partner, and not an gamer: Why are you buying an Gamer Series Notebook (XPS) and not an Business (Precision) Notebook?

I mean: When you have enough money for an XPS you can buy an Alienware too. ;)

Or you buy an HP EliteBook. :cool:

Really sad that I couldn't help you, but it was worth a try. :)