Dell 700m BIOS semi crunchy

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by cidtrips, Oct 17, 2009.

1. cidtrips

cidtrips MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    #1 cidtrips, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    I have a Dell 700m that I tried to update the video bios on to include it's native 1280x800 resolution. Long story short, not it has a black screen and will only boot from a USB floppy into dos. I have a backup of the original BIOS but phlash won't flash the wph file. It will however save a backup of the current bios just fine. If only I could see what kind of error message it must be spitting out this would be a snap, save the laptop doesn't have any rs232 connectors or similar. Any ideas?

Dell 700m
    intel ICH4 828??/855GM
    Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 release 6.0

*EDIT* UNIFLASH to the rescue. It did the job where PHLASH16 would not....

2. straylight

straylight MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    I'm interested to know why you did this? Would what you did have any effect on windows 7? I tried WIn7, but the driver model doesnt allow for support of the intel 855gma chipset.

3. khanh1315

khanh1315 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    i did a google that shows you how to install video driver for windows 7 that support 1280x800 resolution without modifying anything.
    and it does work.

4. cidtrips

cidtrips MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    @straylight I did it because the only other way to add the 1280x800 native LCD resolution was to insert it into the shadowed Video BIOS after the system started up. This is a major roadblock in getting accurate resolutions in a frame buffer on Linux because our drivers aren't as savvy as the manufacturer's. With the native resolution already present in the BIOS, something which Dell should have done, mucking with the shadowed BIOS is not necessary, and allows the open source video driver to use the native LCD resolution without the crude hack. As far as Windows 7 is concerned, I have no clue, other than the native Windows frame buffer drivers would be able to work properly at the native resolution, sans any kind of hardware graphics acceleration.

P.S. Pardon the necromancy... I thought I'd at least reply to questions asked as I haven't looked back at this post since solving the original issue.